Color Balance Mosaic Dataset Error in ArcPro 2.6

02-22-2021 07:43 AM
Labels (2)
dlj19220301
New Contributor II

I'm getting an error in ArcPro 2.6, even though I've already successfully built pyramids and statistics. I started from scratch a couple times and still get it. I did not get this error back in ArcPro 2.4. Any ideas? 

"Color correction requires each raster band to have statistics. The object ID of the first raster having no statistics is 1. use the Build Pyramids and Statistics processing tool to calculate statistics. Failed to execute (ColorBalanceMosaicDataset)."

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

This sounds like BUG-000133433 - After adding rasters to a mosaic dataset and calculating statistics using the Add Rasters to Mosaic tool, when attempting to run Color Balance Mosaic Dataset on the mosaic dataset, it fails with the error message, "Color correction requires each raster band to have statistics..."Use the Build Pyramids and Statistics geoprocessing tool to calculate statistics", even though the statistics on the rasters show as calculated.

It's in the Product Plan to be fixed but I do not know when.

0 Kudos
dlj19220301
New Contributor II

Thank you, Robert. Is this bug only in ArcGIS Pro? Or is it also in ArcGIS Desktop? 

On a similar topic, my method of creating the mosaic is through the ortho mapping workspace wizard. I feed the wizard my CRS, my Frame Table with EO's, my Camera table with IO/distortion values, and the ESRI server global DEM surface. Is this mosaic process actually orthorectifying each pixel? And is there a way that I can export tiled orthophotos from this mosaic, without running the Block Adjustment step in the wizard? I understand the end product will not be as accurate without an AT, but what if I just want to export tiled orthophotos without running a full AT/block adjustment? I have thousands of images and I trust my input data enough to use it as a rough end product. What workflow would you recommend for this? 

If I build the mosaic based on the inputs I mentioned above, and then export the mosaic using the Split Raster tool with a tile layout shapefile, could I consider this a tiled orthophoto? Or does it have to go through the Block Adjustment and Custom Orthomosaic stages in the wizard? 

0 Kudos
TomGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @Robert_LeClair,

looking for a solution to the problem described by the author I found this thread. I am working in version 3.2.1 of ArcGIS Pro, but following the bug trail I can see that this, originally ArcMap issue, is also in ArcGIS Pro, and according to BUG-000133433 the status is: Will not be addressed.

Is the conclusion that I won't be able to color balance a mosaic dataset with ESRI?

- We are living in the 21st century.
GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Good morning @TomGeo  - I did check into the BUG-000133433 status and it is marked as "will not be addressed."  I'm not sure why that is the current status of the bug as I work as an Instructor in Esri Training Services rather than the Support Services side of the house.  I did look into other customer support cases to see if there was a workaround for the bug and found this statement - "When I added the rasters from your OrthoTiles folder to the mosaic (using the Add Rasters to Mosaic Dataset tool), I tried checking the "Calculate Statistics" under the "Raster Processing" tab. This allowed me to directly use the Color Balance Mosaic Dataset tool without calculating statistics first and it ran successfully. This might also work on your end."

Not sure if this will work or not for you but worth a try.  I would recommend reaching out to Esri Support Services to see if there is a more current workaround and/or add your customer number to the bug report.