Coded-Value Domain not auto-populating from Fields view

Jump to solution
10-12-2022 04:55 PM
Labels (1)
ElisabethSedano
New Contributor II

I'm curious if there is a trick that I'm missing to make a new coded-value domain auto-populate from a field's values. I'm clicking from the Domain drop-down for a field in Fields view, choosing Add New Coded Value Domain, and being taken to the Domains view, and a new empty line without anything populating.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Don't know of an automatic way to do this, but you can easily run the Table To Domain GP tool, just need a lookup table to feed into it.

Can export the feature class table to Excel, pivot on it to get unique values, then use that for the Table2Domain.

Along with other methods to create the lookup table, you can also run the Summary Staitistics tool on the feature class, pick the field you want a domain for in both the statistics field and cse field.  Then, feed this statistics table into the Table 2 Domain tool, and pick the same field for both Code and Description (I usually set up my Domains so the Code and Description are the same.  Reduces a lot of future issues in query/displaying the "correct" value).

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Don't know of an automatic way to do this, but you can easily run the Table To Domain GP tool, just need a lookup table to feed into it.

Can export the feature class table to Excel, pivot on it to get unique values, then use that for the Table2Domain.

Along with other methods to create the lookup table, you can also run the Summary Staitistics tool on the feature class, pick the field you want a domain for in both the statistics field and cse field.  Then, feed this statistics table into the Table 2 Domain tool, and pick the same field for both Code and Description (I usually set up my Domains so the Code and Description are the same.  Reduces a lot of future issues in query/displaying the "correct" value).

R_

0 Kudos
ElisabethSedano
New Contributor II

Ah yes, I forgot about the Table to Domain tool. Thank you! 

It worked as expected.  

0 Kudos
ammsgis
New Contributor III

Hi Elisabeth , I recently find out the geoprocessing tools named Add Domain, Alter Domain, Add Coded Domain and Assign Domain, there are very useful to automatize those tasks when you use them in Model Builder's flow, check it out and let me know if it was a good tip.

0 Kudos
Fidelity_NationalTitle
New Contributor III

There is a method to do this, and I have done so successfully in the past. But not working for me in 3.x 

Creat domains from field view - ArcGIS Pro help 

0 Kudos