Clipping Out a State from Shapefile (without tracing)

Jump to solution
08-08-2022 09:42 AM
ItsAnt
by
New Contributor II

Hello Arc users

I'm new to ArcGIS Pro, having trouble doing the simple task of clipping out a individual state from a state shapefile. Not sure which tool to use but the ones I've tried (Extract/Mask, Clip) either only work for raster files or will not allow me to specify the state I want to cut out. Basically, I want to be able to view the base map on the particular state that I'm working on and have the states shapefile cover the other state, I want to cut out the state I'm working on from the shapefile. The shapefile is divided into states and when you click on a state it identifies it, so I want to know how I can clip out the state without manually tracing the state boundaries since the states from the shapefile are selectable inputs.

Please let me know how to go about this and if there is any other information I can provide.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndyAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Select the state, then in the pane Contents right-click on the layer and in its contextual menu select DataExport Features. Only that one state will be exported into a new file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndyAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Select the state, then in the pane Contents right-click on the layer and in its contextual menu select DataExport Features. Only that one state will be exported into a new file.

0 Kudos
ItsAnt
by
New Contributor II

Thank you! just had to use the filter to isolate it.

0 Kudos