Clip Tool (Analysis Tools) including one point from outside boundary area.

09-21-2020 05:39 PM
ElijahAllan
New Contributor III

Hello, I am wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the Clip Tool including JUST ONE point from outside their clip boundary area? (I am using ArcPro 2.6.1) I clipped some point features with a shapefile, and out of the 1,549 points that were produced, one is about 1.5 km away from the boundary edge of the shapefile I used to clip the points. 

Here is a view of my shapefile and the 1,579 points I clipped:

Here is a view of the ONE POINT that is outside of the clip boundary:

Appreciate any help with this.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Were the coordinates of your bounding rectangle(ish) used for clipping in decimal degrees or in a projected coordinate system?  If the former, you might try a geodesic densification on it prior to using it for clipping.

What is the projection of your map frame?

Why do you think that point should be within the bounding rectangle?

... sort of retired...
ElijahAllan
New Contributor III

The bounding rectangle(ish) and the points both have a GCS of WGS 1984. The map frame's Coordinate System is set to Albers Conical Equal Area, should I set it to WGS 1984 before I run the clip? Or do I transform the rectangles and points to Albers Equal Conical Area since my raster data set is AECA?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

densify the geographic coordinates of the bounding rectangle using a geodesic densify and rerun to see if that point is really in the bounding areas of your selector featureclass

Geodetic Densify (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

... sort of retired...
ElijahAllan
New Contributor III

I ran the Geodetic Densify (I'm not very versed in the differences between the different Geodetic Types), but It looks like non of the Geodetic Densify results (GreatElliptic, Loxodrome, Normal Selection, Geodesic) had that point within them. Only the original bounding rectangle has that one point in it:

A closer view of the point in comparison to the "flights" and "flights_GeodeticDensify_Loxodrome" boundary lines, with "flights" being the outermost bounding rectangle:

0 Kudos