Clip layers not honored when printing or exporting

07-05-2019 04:38 AM
LarryMcEvoy
New Contributor III

When using clip layers to clip to the outline of a feature in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 the layout and map tabs show results as expected screen grab below. screen grab showing clip settings

But when printing or exporting the map the clipping layer is not honored is there a setting I am missing or is this expected behavior.screen grab showing exported output

0 Kudos
15 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Larry, 

I'm unaware of any known issue that would result in clipped layers not drawing in the layout (as expected), but drawing in the printed map or the exported file.

There may be something specific about your map, layout rendering, export options, etc... that results in the clip being ignored. Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

Tested! Clip Layers option works correctly just on the screen - not on the exported/printed maps!  

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

When I export from map or layout, the clipping remains. You'll need more details that are specific to your workflow (exact steps to reproduce), which you'll need if this goes to tech support (likely outcome). In addition, what kind of video card are you running? Is that a vector tile layer that is being clipped?

0 Kudos
LarryMcEvoy
New Contributor III

Life is to short for ESRI tech support, my issue  seems to be linked to the fact that the map was using old enterprise geo-databases (for some of the layers) which have yet to be upgraded two fixes came to mind duplicate the data out to a current file geodatabase or use donut buffers with a white fill. Went with the second option as I find that having a single source of data is always preferable when you come back to it in a couple of years

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Larry:

Would you be able to provide more details on the old enterprise geodatabases that you felt were the cause of the problem such as GIS version installed (e.g. SDE 10.2, 10.3, etc.) and database type (e.g. SQL Server 2012, Oracle 10g, etc.)?

LarryMcEvoy
New Contributor III

Michael,

we have both 10.0 and 10.2.2 geodatabase's sitting on SQL Server 2008 (10.0.6241.0) 

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

It would be interesting to actually get details on when this doesn't work.  I just tried as well and my export to png works just fine.  

0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

Checked/tested on Feature Classes in the same fgdB and Raster Dataset outside of fgdB (as individually georeferenced image files in .jpg format). See the results in the attached movie.

Thanks!