Select to view content in your preferred language

Clip feature

11-14-2018 01:05 PM
rajujee
Emerging Contributor

I need to clip line feature that is parellel to another feature. I am not getting accurate feature line using 'clip feature'.Could you please advice what I am missing.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a screen grab would help.  What are you using for the clipping

0 Kudos
AndrewBuxton
Emerging Contributor

I am having a similar issue. I am using ArcGIS Pro. I am trying to discard the area of a polygon that is overlapping with a polygon in another layer, retaining the non overlapping area. They are the only two layers turned on. I am using Features/Modify tool on the Edit tab. Selecting the polygon with the edge I want to cut to, the Clip function in the Divide menu of Modify Features, selecting Discard (Remainder). The results are close to what I am looking for, however the edge of the cut polygon does not line up exactly with the edge of the retained one. I attach a screen grab of the issue, the edge of the purple polygon should line up exactly with the edge of the green one, but in places there is a gap and in places there is an overlap.

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

Andy,

I am not sure why your results don't align.  We can look into the issue if you can provide info about your data and project.

In the meantime, an easy way to clean it up gaps and overlaps is to go to the Edit tab and choose Map Topology from the Topology dropdown.  Then from Modify Features pane, choose Align Edges.  Simply click the edge you want to align.   

Align a topology edge—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

AndrewBuxton
Emerging Contributor

Thank you Jennifer, that is helpful I will use the Map Topology Align the Edges. the polygons I am trying to clip and those I am trying to align to are just 2 sets of 250m buffers off points, so nothing complex.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Were you able to perform the Clip workflow in ArcMap without the additional use of Topology Align tools to clean up the mess that the Clip made?

0 Kudos
AndrewBuxton
Emerging Contributor

I have undertaken the original task in a slightly different way as I found Clip was not just failing to align my polygons, but it was also reshaping and slightly moving them. at the moment I only have a small number of these to undertake, so I have used the Modify/Split tool instead, manually deleting the unwanted portion of the polygon.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Where are you storing your data that is being clipped?  I only ask because it seems that what look like curves are not being handled properly so I'm wondering if your data storage is modifying geometry because it does not support curves.