Select to view content in your preferred language

Clarify georeferenced images in map series

08-26-2024 01:52 PM
Labels (2)
JustinKeller1
Emerging Contributor

Hi everyone, I'm making a map series of stormwater infrastructure in Pro 3.3.1 that shows feature layer geometry on top of georeferenced images of technical drawings of the infrastructure (i.e., inlets & pipes). When I'm in layout mode and zoom in to check everything's okay, the drawings are legible as if they were original sized PDFs. When I export the map and zoom in on the document, the images are illegible. I've exported to different formats but otherwise don't know what else I can do to improve legibility when I zoom in so we can see specs for the infrastructure (written on the drawing). The reader should be able to clearly see the shapefile on top of the legible drawing in the correct location.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Interesting, can you tell me what your raster resampling settings are for export? You might try changing that to Best if it isn't already. It could be that the raster layers are getting too degraded during export because of the raster resampling settings.

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
JustinKeller1
Emerging Contributor

Hi Aubri,

It's set to Best with a 1:1 ratio.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

That's the right setting then. I was hoping it would be a simple setting change, but sadly not.

When you say zoom in on the layout, are you activating the map frame and zooming in to the map or are you zooming in and out of the page?

If you are activating the map frame and zooming in, then it could be a case of the map series having the wrong scale settings. You can activate a map frame in a map series to pan or zoom for editing purposes, but it will always snap back to the original map series boundary after deactivating (you may have to refresh to see this). The exported file will always give the original extent. That can sometimes create a difference, although it may not be your case. 

If you can package your project and share it (here or via direct message), I'd love to take a look. You can also reach out to tech support for troubleshooting, they have a lot of resources to help.

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos