changing the default symbol for XY point data

Jump to solution
11-17-2021 08:09 AM
JamesDietrich
New Contributor

If there a way anyone has found to change the default symbol for the add XY Point Data data tool?

I do a lot of quick checks on GPS data by just adding the XY data from a CSV file, however the default symbol (bubble marker/tear pin) is terrible. It has a 20% transparent fill and has a Y offset of -50%

JamesDietrich_0-1637164995729.png

I would love to be able to change the default symbol when I import this type of data to something more useful. Changing the symbology every time I import data is become a pain.

Thanks for any ideas.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can create a ModelBuilder tool to run the XY Point Data tool, applying a symbology (.lyrx) file to the output points.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can create a ModelBuilder tool to run the XY Point Data tool, applying a symbology (.lyrx) file to the output points.

DavidZiegler
New Contributor III

Can the XY Point Data tool via model builder put unique png symbols on XY points--i.e. not the same one over and over. 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From the help: Model Parameters

Symbology

You can save a layer file with a defined symbology and use that layer file as a template for how your model outputs will be symbolized when added to a map. This can be accomplished in two ways:

• Set the Symbology option of an output parameter to a layer file path such as C:\Data\LandUseOverlay\Symbolized.lyrx on the Parameters tab of the tool's Properties window.
  • Add the Apply Symbology From Layer tool to the end of your model, and set the Symbology Layer parameter to a layer file path.

0 Kudos
IanPryor1
New Contributor III

Just FYI there is an enhancement request for this ability but has not been implemented yet.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/change-default-symbology/m-p/1118374#M47997