Changing a shapefiles editing capabilities

03-09-2022 07:18 AM
Labels (1)
GaryMorris2
New Contributor III

I recently took a new job and I have walked into a situation where there is no metadata for virtually anything created before I got here.  I am trying to add a "Description" in ArcCatalog for a shapefile I received from a contractor that was doing some work before I got here.  I do not have the option to add any, I understand that this is a permissions issue however, I do not know how to change the permissions to allow the editing of the "Description"  The features within the shapefile are editable.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

related  Solved: Shapefile Description - Esri Community

try making sure the shapefile isn't open in a map or being used perhaps, otherwise check the file properties in Windows

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GaryMorris2
New Contributor III

It isn't opened anywhere, I even tried exporting it and adding it to a new file geodatabase and closing out everything and opening just catalog.  It still doesn't give me the option.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What do you see when you right-click the shapefile > Edit Metadata?

JayantaPoddar_0-1646842111432.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
GaryMorris2
New Contributor III

Screenshot_4.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Gary - I only saw one internal customer call with this error message and it was resolved by removing the Target for ArcGIS extension from GeoSoft.  There's something about XML formats via that extension that causes the issue.  Test on a machine without this extension.  What is the result?

0 Kudos