Changes to one layout effect all other layouts

07-17-2018 08:33 AM
ZachMueting
New Contributor III

Probably a simple setting i'm missing, but when I make a change to a map frame on one layout the change is made on all other layouts as well. I have locked the map frames, as tried making changes by activating the map frame instead of making changes in the layout view, but regardless a change made in one layout is being made to all oher layouts. 

This did not use to happen, so i'm not sure if a setting has accidentally been changed. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

8 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you share more details? What type of change are you making? A new scale bar? Panning and Zooming? Making the change with in "Activate" Mode? A screen capture using screen-to-gif would probably get your issue solved quickly. 

0 Kudos
ZachMueting
New Contributor III

Hi Thomas,

All layout contents I add (scale bar, text, north arrow) properly save when I work on different layouts, but if I make a change to the contents of a map frame on a layout the change is made to all layouts? For example if I turn on a feature layer in layout 'A', it will also show in layout 'B' even if it was previously turned of before. If I zoom the map frame on one layout, the map frame on the other layout will be zoomed as well. 

The map frames on all layouts seem to be linked, when before changes made were independent of each other per each layout. 

Any ideas? I will try to get a screen capture to clarify

0 Kudos
ZachMueting
New Contributor III

Sorry, actually zooming a map frame on one layout does not effect the others. Just changes made to the the visible feature layers of of the map frame on one layout will be visible on all layouts. Thanks

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I believe that is the intended behavior. If you have 5 layouts sourced from one map, turning a layer off in the map will turn it off in the 5 layouts. If you want 5 different layouts, just copy the map (4 times), and link each map to its unique layout. 

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Not able to reproduce, but I'm not sure I understand your workflow. If you can make a recording with the super easy to use screentogif free application, and post it here. It will take you 2 minutes...

0 Kudos
ZachMueting
New Contributor III

Here is Layout 1 with 2 feature layers turned on

Here is layer 1 with 2 feature layers turned on

Here is Layout 2, where I have turned off 1 of the feature layers

When I return to layout 1, it has been modified to match the changes made to layout 2

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Zach, 

Changes made to the map such as changing layer visibility, layer drawing order, layer symbology and coordinate system, will be reflected in any layout map frames that point to the map. Map frames can have an extent (including time and range) that is different so that you can zoom/pan to a different part of the map.  However, there is no current functionality that severs the link between the map and the layout map frames referencing the said map.

Tom

ZachMueting
New Contributor III

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for clarifying! That explains why certain layouts were automatically changing (all were linked to a particular map), while the other layouts were not. Good to know, thanks again I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos