Select to view content in your preferred language

Change Default Project settings - ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
12-10-2017 07:45 PM
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hi there

I am aware of the link here where we can change the Project Settings (after the Install)

Change project settings—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

However is anyone aware if we can change and set these up if we want to do an Enterprise Deployment of ArcGIS Pro. (Basicly this will mean that the IT Department can push the install and changes out without having the user manually change these in the interface)

Any one that has had experience or can point me in the right direction would be most helpful

Cheers

John P

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

There is a user.config xml file in the location below that allows this location to be set up there:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISPro.exe_StrongName_yhpsrysqpn4fvmb0spwbakt5o5e50din\2.x.x

Open this a text editor like Notepad++ and scroll down (towards line 170): there is Default folder parameter that look like:

<setting name='DefaultFolder" seriliazeAs="String">
 <value>C:\tmp</value>

-The location between the value tags can be modified there.
-Do so, then save and close the file.
-Open Pro and create a blank project, by default it will now point to the new location.

This should assist people in changing the settings remotely

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When I started Pro for the first time... I didn't create a new project to begin with.  I followed this section in the link you provided

Change how new projects are created

from the beginning.   the bottom left link is the key before it uses defaults at least in my case.  

Then there is templates, which I haven't explored because I wouldn't have any need to do something differently than I already do.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

John, perhaps some of the silent install options will be of use to customers doing an enterprise deployment: Install options—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  Like specifying portal lists and licensing connections.

Otherwise, what Dan mentioned in terms of setting up project templates that already have pre-configured connections, styles, layouts, etc. etc. could be useful and can be made available through an organization's portal, or probably pushed into user's ProjectTemplates folders (C:\Users\<user>\Documents\ArcGIS\ProjectTemplates)

JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

There is a user.config xml file in the location below that allows this location to be set up there:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISPro.exe_StrongName_yhpsrysqpn4fvmb0spwbakt5o5e50din\2.x.x

Open this a text editor like Notepad++ and scroll down (towards line 170): there is Default folder parameter that look like:

<setting name='DefaultFolder" seriliazeAs="String">
 <value>C:\tmp</value>

-The location between the value tags can be modified there.
-Do so, then save and close the file.
-Open Pro and create a blank project, by default it will now point to the new location.

This should assist people in changing the settings remotely

DanNarsavage_IDWR
New Contributor III

Just for people coming here in more recent times, there's a better way to manage settings enterprise-wide now . . .

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/application-setting-management.htm

0 Kudos