change a coded value domain for one value and update the corresponding symbology without changing all existing symbols

Jump to solution
04-19-2022 08:10 AM
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

I created a survey 123 app for the noxious weed board to use in the field.

I created a point feature class in Arc Pro only has 1 point in it but added coded value domains for the list of weeds then created custom symbols for each item on the list which took alot of time.

Now when they want to add a new weed to the list or change the spelling of something, I don't know how to change it without regenerating all of the symbols.

Screenshots:

My attribute table of the point feature class showing the one point value to get the data to populate in the app

Lorraine77_0-1650379759597.png

The field with the coded value domain

Lorraine77_1-1650379805185.png

I just removed the apostrophe from Dyer's Woad and Policeman's Helmet, then I clicked save.

Lorraine77_2-1650379889584.png

Lorraine77_3-1650379912903.png

When I open the symbology the apostrophe's are still there. I can remove the apostrophe from the Label but not from the Value.

Lorraine77_4-1650380013161.png

Lorraine77_5-1650380082854.png

I don't want to click regenerate all labels because I will lose my symbology. Incidentally I have had to do this before and had to resymbolize everything so I think they will keep wanting to add and change values and I'll have to do this again.

They are familiar with the symbols and want them to be the same and not change.

Thank you for any advice you have to share, I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Your pictures show IDENT having the "weed" domain assigned, but, your domains pic shows the values in a domain named "Domain"?  So, need to make sure you are changing in the correct domain.

Once you have a new value in the data, you can right click on the Value in the symbology properties and select remove.  that will remove the old value with the apostrophe.

Then, the green plus sign will let you pick individual values to add to the symbology, and you will only have to re-select the symbol for that "new" value.

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Your pictures show IDENT having the "weed" domain assigned, but, your domains pic shows the values in a domain named "Domain"?  So, need to make sure you are changing in the correct domain.

Once you have a new value in the data, you can right click on the Value in the symbology properties and select remove.  that will remove the old value with the apostrophe.

Then, the green plus sign will let you pick individual values to add to the symbology, and you will only have to re-select the symbol for that "new" value.

R_

0 Kudos
L77
by
Occasional Contributor

You're right. I forgot that "Domain" was my first attempt and I ended up using the domain called "Weed". As soon as I removed the apostrophes from the weed domain the text in the symbology updated automatically so I didn't have to change the symbols.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

0 Kudos