Select to view content in your preferred language

Census Tract Analysis

12-06-2020 08:24 PM
SydneyCosby
New Contributor

Hello, 

I am conducting an analysis of internet availability in the state of Alabama. I am comparing this against income and race at the census tract level. I need to review the data for patterns among those things. Do you have any suggestions for the tool within ArcMap to use for this? 

Additionally, the data I have for internet availability is at the census block level. I need this to match the census tract level of the other data. I have tried utilizing the zonal statistics tool for this but I am not having great results. The data I have on the tract levels is in a polygon format and when I change this to raster the output is very over generalized and not exactly specific to the tracts, only to large cell blocks. 

Thank you so much for any help! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you will need to aggregate the block level data to the census tract level.  You should usually be able to find a "key" to do this with the census data. Examine your block level data and see if there is a census tract column indicating which one it belongs to.  You can then dissolve the block level data and aggregate the values

How Dissolve (Data Management) works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

... sort of retired...