Cell size question for reprojecting a raster

Jump to solution
03-16-2021 12:07 PM
ChrisRandle
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro 'Project Raster' to convert a projected raster to GCS. The raster is a crop data layer using: USA Contiguous Albers Equal Area Conic USGS Version with a spheroid of GRS 1980 and datum of NAD83. It has a resolution of 30meters. I would like to re-project this raster to World Geodetic System 1984 (WGS84).

My question is for the Project Raster cell size field, do I enter '30' (30 meters) -Or- leave the cell size field blank and run the tool. 

Thank you for your time,

Chris

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ChrisRandle
New Contributor II

Thanks so much for your quick response. I'm working with some older python code. I agree, things should be left as projected. This will change in the near future. I really appreciate your explanation--helps clarify things as I learn and grow in GIS. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are projecting to GCS the output xy coordinates would be in degrees, so if you want to set it to an exact value you could use 1-arc-second, which is at about 30m in length over most of the earth. 1/3600 = 0.000278 degrees so that would be a good value to use to preserve the resolution. and not drop data cells.

These data are usually handled in a projected coordinate system so that area calculations are accurate. Why are you converting this to GCS?

ChrisRandle
New Contributor II

Thanks so much for your quick response. I'm working with some older python code. I agree, things should be left as projected. This will change in the near future. I really appreciate your explanation--helps clarify things as I learn and grow in GIS. 

0 Kudos
ChrisRandle
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan,

I really liked the 2nd link on how cell size works. Clears up a lot for me. Most appreciated!

0 Kudos