Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot open aprx from file explorer

05-01-2024 02:39 PM
ColeSutton
Occasional Contributor

*Edited to better summarize all the behaviors I'm seeing*

When I try to open an aprx from the file explorer, it does not open the project. It only opens the software. Or, if Pro is already running, double clicking the aprx in my file explorer does not open the project, only another blank instance of Pro. The only ways I can actually open an existing project: either find and choose the aprx in the Open Project menu (folder icon button on quick access) -or- click Project tab on the ribbon > Open > choose a project

I'm also unable to open a project from under the "Recent Projects" list on the Home screen. I get the following sort of message.

ColeSutton_1-1721312251879.png

Near the Recent Projects list there's a button to "Open another project". This method gives me a similar error

ColeSutton_2-1721312368161.png

ColeSutton_0-1721312088916.png

Besides an aprx not opening as expected, the above methods all seem to lead directly to another issue, which I initially posted about separately: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/map-ribbons-are-frozen-after-opening-a-pro-projec...

The soundest method I have for opening an aprx is to launch a blank instance of pro from the start menu or task bar icon. Then as EzekielBaye has commented, select "Start without a template". Taking this route, for whatever reason prevents the frozen ribbon and missing quick access buttons issue. From here I can open an existing project with the Open Project menu (folder icon button on quick access) -or- by clicking Project tab on the ribbon > Open > choose a project

Hope this makes some sense and helps to troubleshoot the issue!

Anyone else experiencing this? I haven't found any existing discussions about the issue. I already tried reinstalling Pro to see if it was a glitch unique to my install. The issue persists after reinstalling.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Open a project—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

covers all the options including your preferred method

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ColeSutton
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Dan, but I think you're missing my point. I know how to open a project. The issue is that when I click an aprx in windows file explorer, the method I normally use most often, it does NOT open the project as it should. It ONLY opens a blank instance of Pro.

In fact, I've discovered another one of the methods does not work properly for me: When I just launch Pro (without initially clicking an aprx)... it shows me the list of "Recent Projects". And when I chose my latest project, I get the following error message:

ColeSutton_0-1714658257816.png

The only method where I can successfully get a project to open is using the Open Project menu. Not the end of the world, but kindof annoying as you can imagine.

0 Kudos
EzekielBaye
Emerging Contributor

Sadly, having the same issue.

0 Kudos
ColeSutton
Occasional Contributor

Interestingly, another issue I'm having might be connected. I only experience the frozen ribbon and quick access toolbar issue, link below, after pro is opened from clicking an aprx in the file explorer. I notice if I open a blank instance of pro (from the start menu or task bar icon, ie not by clicking an aprx, which I've become accustomed to doing given the issue described in this post) then the ribbons and quick access toolbar behave normally.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/map-ribbons-are-frozen-after-opening-a-pro-projec...

0 Kudos
EzekielBaye
Emerging Contributor

Hmm, I can only open if I launch the program, then select Start without a template, then open project. Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos