Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot offset position of labels on map grid in Layout in ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1

Jump to solution
11-20-2017 08:25 AM
RobWard1
New Contributor II

I have added a Map Grid to my Map Frame in ArcGIS Pro and would like the grid labels to be on the inside of the frame. I have managed to offset the position of the ticks to the inside; however, any attempt to offset the coordinate labels does nothing. I've been trying to do it with the following steps:

Format Map Grid > Select 'Labels' from dropdown > Properties > Position > then changing the values of Offset X / Offset Y. Whatever I do, the labels stay in the same position.

Any suggestions welcome!
Many thanks,
Rob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

First select the Graticule:

In the properties, you can edit the value for the Offset in Appearance:

And when I change that value:

... the labels will move.

I did notice some strange behavior of the value when I use the up and down buttons of the control, it will take huge leaps in the value and when I specify a small value like 6, it changed to 152,4 and with 12 it changed to 304,8. Weird...

View solution in original post

29 Replies
XanderBakker

First select the Graticule:

In the properties, you can edit the value for the Offset in Appearance:

And when I change that value:

... the labels will move.

I did notice some strange behavior of the value when I use the up and down buttons of the control, it will take huge leaps in the value and when I specify a small value like 6, it changed to 152,4 and with 12 it changed to 304,8. Weird...

RobWard1
New Contributor II

Fantastic thank you! I had tried using that 'Offset in Appearance' option but as you say, the numbers were jumping wildly making the labels disappear altogether. It seems for some reason you have to give the number you want it to change by which does seem a very strange (and non-intuitive) way of doing it. Thanks for solving it

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Rob Ward great it solved your problem. Could you mark the post that answered your question as the correct answer?

I will tag Kory Kramer who might know more on why the numbers are jumping so strangely.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I've toyed with it some and don't see the "jumping" behavior described.  I'm able to use the arrows to adjust the offset, and they stick.  I can also type numbers directly and things are working fine.  

If you can provide explicit step-by-step instructions that will reproduce this behavior, we take a look, but at this point I can't make it work how you're describing.

Cheers

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Kory Kramer ,

Let's say that the image below is where I left yesterday. The labels are a the enlarged distance of the graticule and everything looks OK, although the Offset show a high value 304,8pt.:

When I specify a value of 6 in the Offset box:

and I press Enter, this happens:

The value changes to 152,4pt. Which leads me to believe it applies a value of 25,4 (0,1") to the value entered in the box. OK, not very nice, but it is something that can be handled if you know that this happens, but what is not very nice is when I use the up and down buttons. First the up button:

You can see that labels move away with a great leap and the value changes to 3896,36 pt, which is when we divide it by the magic value 25,4 -> 153,4 which is the value I would have expected to be entered when pressing up with a value of 152,4pt.

You can imagine what happens when the down button is pressed with a value of 3896,36 pt (it will change to 3895,36 as a value entered in the box and multiply by 25,4 and I end up with a value of   98942,144 pt and labels that will have disappeared from the surface of the earth. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

What size is your page?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

It A4 Landscape and use millimeters as unit

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

If I change my units to inches it works without problems, although I need to change the sizes back to small values since when I change to inches the ticks become very huge...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

There we go - I can repro the issue now!  With this new info I'll search our internal resources to see if this is already logged and if not we'll get it logged.  Thank you for the follow up, Xander!