Cannot load Oracle 19c tables to map

09-14-2022 10:10 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

I was provided connection details to a non-spatial Oracle DB.  I can create the connection (sde) file and see the list of tables, however if I right click on a table and choose Add To Current Map, I get the error:

Failed to add data: C:\Users\...\dbconnection.sde\SCHEMA.NAME.  DBMS table not found[ORA-00942: table or view does not exist].

Strangely, I am able to use Python search cursor to traverse the table programmatically, and arcpy.TableToTable_conversion will successfully export the data to a local geodatabase.  But what I want to do is add the table to a map so I can publish it to my ArcGIS Enterprise environment. (next step will be to register database as a datastore on Enterprise but this is the first step of course) 

I have checked with the DBA, and seem to have the correct permissions (CREATE_SESSION and SELECT.  Have also loaded the Oracle drivers (OracleDatabaseInstantClient19c) to my windows machine and added location to my path. Any ideas here what could be happening.  

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

what is the schema of the table look like?

Wonder if there is a field that is causing an error via Pro UI.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

This is happening for multiple tables in the DB (probably all but there are hundreds).  One table that is it happening with just has BOOKMARK_ID_N and POSITION_VC as a Long and Text field respectively.  

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That is weird. I do not have any other ideas, sorry.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Does "Long" really mean "LONG"? LONG is not a supported Oracle type.

Do a DESCRIBE in SQL*Plus and report that here (you can redact the actual column names, but don't alter the types).

- V

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

I unfortunately do not know how to access the tables outside of Pro (not a DBA 🙂

Here is a screenshot from Pro though

0 Kudos
CraigSwisher
New Contributor

There are a couple of Esri Oracle 19 patches, have those been applied?

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

To oracle?  Or to Pro?  I don't believe I have installed any Pro patches to address Oracle compatibility.  I am on Pro 2.9.3.  Where can I find more information about the patches?  I know the DBA said Oracle is patched with latest - they do not have any spatial libraries loaded on their DB though - I am just trying to access plain tables in a standard Oracle DB.  

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory

Absolutely uninteresting, but when I upgraded Pro to 3.0.1, my issue went away. 

0 Kudos