Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot find create line in create features. Is it an extension?

Jump to solution
01-03-2019 02:52 PM
MitchellWade
New Contributor III

I am trying to draw lines; however, I cannot find the draw line tool in create features, modify features, manage templates, and I have a line polygon that I am trying to duplicate, but I still cannot find it in my feature templates so I believe I have tried everything. I also searched the extensions, and it doesn't appear that drawing feature shapefiles is an extension. Where should I look or what should I add to enable the draw line feature?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mitchell,

Along with what Adrian said above, if you don't see any feature templates listed in the Create Features pane, perhaps the layer is not enabled for editing? On the Contents pane, click the pencil button (List By Editing) and make sure the layer is checked on. Also on the editing tab, in the Manage Edits group, there is a Status tool that maybe can point out why. See the following links:

Get started editing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Specify which layers can be edited—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  

-Scott

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Mitchell,

Try following along with these steps:

Create polyline features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

This should have what you need for creating a line.

MitchellWade
New Contributor III

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mitchell,

Along with what Adrian said above, if you don't see any feature templates listed in the Create Features pane, perhaps the layer is not enabled for editing? On the Contents pane, click the pencil button (List By Editing) and make sure the layer is checked on. Also on the editing tab, in the Manage Edits group, there is a Status tool that maybe can point out why. See the following links:

Get started editing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Specify which layers can be edited—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  

-Scott

MitchellWade
New Contributor III

Thank you!

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Sure thing. I'm just curious - was the layer not enabled for editing, or was something else going on?

0 Kudos
MitchellWade
New Contributor III

So, none of my layers had the line draw tool so I couldn't use those, but when I created a new feature class it allowed me to use it.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

That's certainly odd. If you need to edit your original layers, we'd be interested to know the source for those layers, ex. shapefiles, FGDB feature classes, etc. Plus, I'd be curious what the Editing Status dialog box reports.

Anyways, I'm glad you have a solution for now.

0 Kudos