Cannot create new python environment in ArcGIS Pro 2.2

07-03-2018 12:13 AM
ChrisHills
Occasional Contributor

I have updated ArcGIS Pro to 2.2, and now I am unable to create a new python environment. I have tried both cloning the default, and creating a new one. It creates a new directory in the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs folder, but after I click on Ok, it disappears, and even after restarting ArcGIS Pro only the default python environment is available.

24 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

For those following a simpler solution

https://community.esri.com/ideas/15429 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
HughGraham
New Contributor II

I Was having issues with this - Couldn't clone the defualy ArcPro Python environment so I used Conda outside out ArcPro to fix the issue.

I opened the default conda environment > opening this batch file: 

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\Scripts\proenv.bat

Then cloned the environment:

conda create --name arcpro_clone --clone arcgispro-py3

activate arcpro_clone

The environment was installed in: 

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcpro_clone

following this it was possible to edit the environment with Conda directly

Set up a batch(.bat) to open this env more effeciently in future with:

@echo off   

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcpro_clone\Scripts

%windir%\system32\cmd.exe "/K" C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcpro_clone\Scripts\activate.bat arcpro_clone

Cheers

MichaelThro
New Contributor

I'm having the same problem, with the message that the environment "doesn't contain NumPy, which is required for ArcGIS Pro." The problem is that I am in a restrictive environment because of government computer rules, so I can't try Hugh Graham's suggestion above (can't use a batch file). It's been awhile since this question was originally posed - does ESRI have a fix, or is it just to install the latest ArcGIS Pro version? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Pro requires numpy, so just install the latest version

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos