Cannot change ArcGIS Server connection type in ArcGIS Pro

09-04-2020 01:11 PM
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I'm trying to publish a geoprocessing tool to ArcGIS Server from ArcGIS Pro, but am unable to since the server connection type is set to "User" in the latter and cannot be changed to "Publisher" or "Admin". When establishing the connection, I'm using the same admin credentials for when I publish from ArcMap, access the Server Admin page, etc., but for some reason Pro sets the connection properties at the lowest level and then grays-out the drop down user type menu--it's totally inert. Heck, the connection in catalog is even auto-named "admin on $SERVERNAME".

I've also confirmed that I can see the published services on the server, but they cannot be modified via Pro. Application is version 2.6.1. Issue was present before recent upgrade.

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Aha! Some more digging turned up this ESRI page. We're currently running ArcGIS Server 10.5.1, and Publisher & Admin connections to ArcGIS Pro weren't added until 10.6. Time to push an upgrade...

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey we have 10.7 Portal and 2.6 ArcGIS Pro and that feature is still greyed out for me did you figure out how to do this ? 

0 Kudos
MetralAlexis
Occasional Contributor

The same for me. ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8. I'm the Portal admin and I'm connected to the Portal. And still, I can't change the connection type. ArcGIS Pro is my nemesis.

FMGLGIS
New Contributor III

Running same setup, still unable to change either. Potential bug?

MetralAlexis
Occasional Contributor

I discovered that the workflow is different in Pro. If you are already connected to your Portal, you can use the Share ribbon to work with your services and manage the server from the web browser.

FMGLGIS
New Contributor III

Yeah interactively it appears different, unfortunately, we've got a few python workflows to create/update tile cache that requires an admin/publisher an .ags connection. Anyone come up with any other workarounds in Python?

See python example -  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/server/create-map-server-cache.htm#C_GUID-9C...

FMGLGIS
New Contributor III

I've done a bit of testing on some of our federated/non-federated servers. Appears to only be an issue switching connection type on federated servers where the portal-tier login is disabled. I can switch freely on a non-federated ArcGIS Server 

RoggerCorrea
New Contributor II

Having the same issue here. cannot login as publisher, by default it login as user. Any updates on this? 
Thanks,

0 Kudos
MetralAlexis
Occasional Contributor

If you've setup the portal connection in the Pro options can use the Share ribbon to publish your services and check your datastores. However, the only way I found to manage the server was to use the web browser interface.