Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot add field

12-04-2017 10:01 AM
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

I cannot add a new field column to my attribute table. It is greyed out in all menu areas.

Tags (1)
31 Replies
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Ok so I can make it to 3 and 4 and the add field options are not greyed out. 

When I click either option it brings me to the fields table... this is where I feel like I am missing something simple. Once here, the add field option on the top is not available nor can I scroll to the bottom to add a new row.

We may need to change arrow colors haha.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it looks like it is a shapefile because of the FID field.  Just make sure that it is not read only.  And if you have it on a network, usb drive or some other flakey storage medium, copy all the bits of the shapefile to a folder on your computer in a simple path... like c:\temp or c:\test.  Check the read/write status using file explorer.  Something is preventing it from being edited.

ALSO... save the project

shut down Pro

restart PRO

see if it works

Last ditch

Save, shutdown, restart BUT open a new project and add just that one file... no basemap... just the shapefile

0 Kudos
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Hey Dan, 

Thanks for all the help, but nothing seems to be working... I tried everything mentioned above but to no avail. I'll have to contact ESRI about this one and when I figure out what it was I'll let you know.

(CHMappers work around does add a new field but it is a bit cumbersome for how many tables I need to edit)

Thanks again for all the help!

0 Kudos
CheyneHadley
New Contributor III

I've had this same problem.  I just get around it by using the "Add Field" tool.  It's kind of an annoying workaround, but it works.

IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Hey thanks for the workaround! It does work but as you said it is a bit cumbersome. I'm going to contact ESRI about this and I will let you know their solution to my problem and hopefully it will help you.

0 Kudos
CheyneHadley
New Contributor III

I hope they do fix this.  I guess my other section would be to use model builder to add an iterator or to define all the fields beforehand so you only have to run it once.

0 Kudos
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Hi Cheyne,

ESRI confirmed that it is a bug. The add field option is greyed out when working with shapefiles in ArcPro under a Basic Licence. 

They said they're aware of it and it should be fixed on the next release.

I'll try your model builder work around in the mean time!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
CheyneHadley
New Contributor III

Awesome.  That was going to be my next comment.  I am also using a Basic license, and can add fields to feature classes in a file geodatabase.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that is bizarre.  I am using Pro 2.0.1... hope you were too

I would figure out the issue... there is no need to use the Add Field button, it is something in the data or its environment I am sure... or it only works in Canada!??!

IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Hey Dan,

So I contacted ESRI and they said it is a very specific bug. The add field option is greyed out when working with shapefiles in ArcPro 2.0 on a Basic Desktop. It is something that they are fixing for the next update.

Are you on a different licence type?

Also, if it only works in Canada then it should work for me as well!

0 Kudos