Cannot access legend properties in ArcGIS Pro after importing layout from ArcMap

Jump to solution
04-25-2019 12:53 PM
DanHoffman1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am unable to access the properties of a legend after importing an ArcMap (10.5) layout into a Pro (2.3.2) layout.  I deleted the old legend associated with the ArcMap Document and added a brand new one.  I can see my layers but when I right-click to access the properties nothing comes up.  I can only edit the formatting (even with that, I can't access any further functions for Text Symbol or Symbol by clicking the arrow on the bottom-right).  I'm assuming this may be due to the fact that it was imported from ArcMap....seems like buggy behavior.

Thank you,
Dan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanHoffman1
New Contributor III

Just got off the phone with ESRI Tech Support and confirmed that it was my ESRI Profile that got corrupted somehow (which can happen if you abruptly end a task, among other things).  The solution was to close all ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap documents, rename the 'ESRI' folder under C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local & Roaming to 'ESRI_old'.  After that, open ArcGIS Pro and it will create new ESRI Profile folders (you will just need to re-set your connections, template, etc.).  After that it worked just fine.  So, I'm marking this as answered.

Thanks,
Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dan, 

We are currently unaware of any issues accessing the Format Legend pane. This includes the scenario of importing an MXD. My first inclination would be that this issue is specific - that is accessing the Format Legend pane is not uniformly broken.

Are you seeing this behavior with all your layouts?  Or just with this particular layout? Or just with any layout that you've imported this particular MXD? In this layout are you able to open the format pane for other map surrounds such as the scale bar or the north arrow?

Have you contacted Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Tom

0 Kudos
DanHoffman1
New Contributor III

Hi Tom,

Yes, I tried importing an MXD into another project and getting the same results.  I actually tried to access the legend properties on a non-MXD imported layout and I'm getting that behavior as well.

I think a tech support call may be in order as it looks to be a bigger problem than I thought.  Thanks!

Dan

0 Kudos
DanHoffman1
New Contributor III

Just got off the phone with ESRI Tech Support and confirmed that it was my ESRI Profile that got corrupted somehow (which can happen if you abruptly end a task, among other things).  The solution was to close all ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap documents, rename the 'ESRI' folder under C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local & Roaming to 'ESRI_old'.  After that, open ArcGIS Pro and it will create new ESRI Profile folders (you will just need to re-set your connections, template, etc.).  After that it worked just fine.  So, I'm marking this as answered.

Thanks,
Dan

0 Kudos