Can you import logo png images with associated long/lat XYs from an Excel spreadsheet?

Jump to solution
10-04-2021 09:15 AM
DavidZiegler
New Contributor III

Is is possible to import png company logo images with associated geo coordinates (XY) directly from an Excel spreadsheet? (I've got hundreds of company logo png images in this spreadsheet)

Mapping out companies based on locales with XY featuring the corporate logo. 

I received a logo hyperlink options, but was hoping direct import was possible somehow. 

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

If the images are in an excel spreadsheet and you have access to the point/location data, you could pretty easily append the x and y data into that same spreadsheet and bring in a point layer based off of x and y data into PRO or even ArcMAP. That would be the simplest way. Another way would be to start with the x and y data as a standalone layer, bring that into your GIS, then append your images based on location using either attachments, pop-ups, and/or hyperlinks. It depends on which you are more comfortable with or familiar with, but the short answer is yes it can be done and there are many ways to do it.

If you are interested in a more technical approach, I would suggest looking into importing Geotagged images where the x, y, and even z data is attached to the image itself, (your png images may already have this depending on how the spreadsheet was made). There are a number of documentation and blog sites where you can read into these options on ESRI or through a quick web search. If you are having trouble I would reach out to ESRI for help or more detailed documentation. 

Key searches, import points using XY data, Geotagged images, XY spreadsheet imports for ArcMAP or PRO, etc.

Hope this helps, great project idea and God bless,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

If the images are in an excel spreadsheet and you have access to the point/location data, you could pretty easily append the x and y data into that same spreadsheet and bring in a point layer based off of x and y data into PRO or even ArcMAP. That would be the simplest way. Another way would be to start with the x and y data as a standalone layer, bring that into your GIS, then append your images based on location using either attachments, pop-ups, and/or hyperlinks. It depends on which you are more comfortable with or familiar with, but the short answer is yes it can be done and there are many ways to do it.

If you are interested in a more technical approach, I would suggest looking into importing Geotagged images where the x, y, and even z data is attached to the image itself, (your png images may already have this depending on how the spreadsheet was made). There are a number of documentation and blog sites where you can read into these options on ESRI or through a quick web search. If you are having trouble I would reach out to ESRI for help or more detailed documentation. 

Key searches, import points using XY data, Geotagged images, XY spreadsheet imports for ArcMAP or PRO, etc.

Hope this helps, great project idea and God bless,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
DavidZiegler
New Contributor III

Thank you very much. The XY and logo images are all in the same Excel spreadsheet. I see the path you've laid out--makes sense.