Can't install spyder

06-17-2021 11:05 AM
Labels (1)
DanielEscobar
New Contributor II

I am having trouble installing Spyder from the python package manager. I have cloned my environment, and once I install Spyder, the program appears to be loading, but I cannot find Spyder anywhere. Spyder also does not appear in the "Installed packages" list. 

thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you really shouldn't "clone" in the first place, you should "install" packages into a separate environment.  What would the point be of having all arcgis functionality replicated in a clone if all you wanted to use was tensorflow for instance.  Do the analysis stuff in one environment and the mappy stuff in another if needed.

As for spyder, you can specify the python executable to use within their property settings, hence one spyder, optional pythons. 

The downside as far as arc goes, is that the version of python is tied to 3.7 currently because of arcpy dependencies (some of which are real, others not).

There is nothing wrong with having your ide installed in base as long as "it" knows which version of python to use regardless of the active environment.  

So don't "clone" the whole environment, create one with the packages you need for analysis and a separate one to keep "mappy happy" 😉

... sort of retired...
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

Good point but have you noticed there is no way to create a new empty environment inside ArcGISPro? "Clone from default" is the only option.  Also there is no access to the base environment. There is no way to select a particular version of python since the default already has it installed and you have to clone to create new environment. Also, there is no way to remove a package so if there is a package in the standard ESRI collection and there is a conflict, well then you are unable to use the your new package.

So advice to anyone out there, basically, forget working with environments inside ArcGIS Pro. Learn the command line. Use the Esri GUI in Pro to select an environment that you have tuned outside of it.

Cloning anything is likely to pull in a lot of packages that you don't need and it's really easy to add missing things to a stripped down environment, like "conda install -n NAME arcpy" or set up a clean one with "conda create -n NAME arcpy".

Normally on Windows I will do something like "conda create --name mypy python=3.7.9" as the first step so that I get a copy of python that can load all the DLL files. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I use conda, not the package manager

--force   see your other post

try copying the folder of one environment into the folder containing a previous, but compatible env into your

C:\..your_install_folder...\bin\Python\envs\

skip package manager, use conda to change/activate your environments

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos