Can't install spyder

06-17-2021 11:05 AM
DanielEscobar
New Contributor II

I am having trouble installing Spyder from the python package manager. I have cloned my environment, and once I install Spyder, the program appears to be loading, but I cannot find Spyder anywhere. Spyder also does not appear in the "Installed packages" list. 

thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
DanielEscobar
New Contributor II

I am a little confused here. Would you recommend installing mini conda? My command line does not return an error message or other response.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Sorry-- the whole thing is confusing, conda should work for us!

I've tried several times now on my machine to use the conda that comes with 2.8, but it does not work for my setup. I recommend using whatever works for you and doing the most normal thing. 🙂 That means if ESRI conda works, you should not install miniconda but it is a workable option FOR ME.

I wanted you to know that other person Joe has been trying to get spyder going with 2.8 and backed off to 2.7,  which version are you using??

0 Kudos
DanielEscobar
New Contributor II

My version is 2.2.0

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please check the steps in Installing spyder IDE for ArcPro 

Post Install instructions

Having installed spyder how do you actually run it? Well the way I do that is to create a short cut to it and place that on my desktop.  You will find the application here:

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\yyy\Scripts\spyder.exe

xxx = Your user login

yyy = Your chosen name for the cloned environment

1. Open file explorer and navigate to spyder location.
  2. Right click on the application and send to desktop to create a shortcut.
  3. Optionally right click on the newly created shortcut, select properties and set the icon for the application, the ico file is in the same folder location as the application.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanielEscobar
New Contributor II

I follow these directions and Spyder does not install or appear in the list of installed packages.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Arcgis Pro 2.2?

That makes it worse since I can't remember which version of spyder worked with Pro 2.2.  The last version of Spyder 4 and the current versions of 5 certainly won't.

You should upgrade Pro to 2.8 or use the python window in Pro until then.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You don't need to install in the clone.

Shortcuts are covered here

ArcGIS Pro 2... Creating Desktop Shortcuts - Esri Community

conda install spyder=5.0.4 --no-pin

will install it in your base with the correct version of jedi and parso until spyder 5.1 comes out.

Shortcut stuff

Target

C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\pythonw.exe "C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Scripts\spyder-script.py"

Start in

C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Scripts

Change arc_pro to you installation path if you must clone.

... sort of retired...
Brian_Wilson

If you install into the base and then clone the base then all the packages you have installed there will be copied to clones, so it's always best IMO to avoid installing anything into the base.

Also IMO it's nearly always best to try whatever Dan Patterson suggests. Nearly always 😉

0 Kudos