Can't access World Geocoder Service in ArcGIS Pro

01-31-2019 10:07 AM
CarlSack1
New Contributor II

I can't access the Esri World Geocoder service through ArcGIS Pro. I am signed in with my ArcGIS Online organizational account, but the World Geocoder Service doesn't show up under Locators in the Catalog pane and is not available when I try the Locate button in the Map tab. All of the tutorials and documentation I can find seems to indicate it should just be there, but it does not appear to be available. I am going through a tutorial on geocoding, and I can build and use a local locator, but can't see or use the service. What am I doing wrong?

Tags (1)
20 Replies
CarlSack1
New Contributor II

Also, oddly enough, when I log out of my ArcGIS Online account, the World Geocoding Service appears under Locators and can be used with the Locate button. However, it still does not appear to be available for table geocoding.

0 Kudos
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

Hi Carl Sack

Have you ensured that the World Geocoding Service is listed in your ArcGIS Online's utility services? You can check this by navigating to arcgis.com > Organization > Settings > Utility Services. 

Can you try adding the service directly and see if this works?

1. Add an ArcGIS Server Connection using the following Server URL (Insert ribbon > Connections > New ArcGIS Server): http://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services
  2. In the Locate pane, open the Settings tab
  3. Select the "Add a Locate Provider" button and choose "Add Locator"
  4. Navigate to the Server connection and select the World geocoder.

-Eric

CarlSack1
New Contributor II

The World Geocoding Service was indeed listed in my organization's AGOL utility services. The procedure to add the service did result in the World Geocoding Service being added.

I still don't understand why the service wasn't present in the first place. Is there something in the default ArcGIS Pro application settings I could change to make sure it automatically shows up for each new project, as it apparently is supposed to according to the documentation and tutorials?

Also, now I am having difficulty with the Rematch Addresses function after geocoding a table. No candidates are appearing in the Candidates pane for unmatched or tied addresses, even though they appear on the map. Any suggestions here?

0 Kudos
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

Hi Carl Sack

One of the times I saw this issue (World Geocoding Service not appearing in Locate pane), we determined it was because the user had their organization URL set up as the active portal (e.g. "https://ess.maps.arcgis.com"). Once we switched this to the general ArcGIS Online portal ("https://www.arcgis.com"), it was resolved. You might want to give that a shot.

In regards to the Rematch Addresses issue, this one has me stumped. What version of the software are you on? Might be good to upgrade to 2.3 if you haven't already. Also, are you using a custom locator or the World Geocoding Service here? Can you reproduce the issue if you geocode the same table again with the same locator? What about with different locators or different input tables? 

I'd recommend you reach out to Esri Support if you're still having trouble with this, and we'd be happy to help you get back up and running!

-Eric

0 Kudos
LauraBelanger
New Contributor

Hi. Can I jump on this string for my own problem?  I am relatively new to ArcGIS and am attempting to switch to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap, so could be a beginner issue, but I also have the issue of the World Geocoding Service locator not appearing in the Locate pane. I checked what you mentioned above but am not figuring this out.  I don't see the World Geocoding Service locator when I'm logged in but I do have access to it when I'm logged out.

I checked and the only portal I have active is www.arcgis.com

Also I checked and the World Geocoding Service is listed in my ArcGIS Online's utility services

Thoughts?  Appreciate any help.

Laura

ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Laura:

If you are not signed in the World Geocoding Service will be available to use only in the Locate pane, not for any batch geocoding. I would check that your user account has geocoding privileges and that the World Geocoding Service has been shared with the organization (essentially does your user account have access to it?). Does the World Service not show up in the Catalog pane Locators folder either?

0 Kudos
LauraBelanger
New Contributor

Thanks. Appreciate the response but still no love.  I'm just going to take a break.  I have to say, I cannot help but get incredibly frustrated by how complicated things end up being in ESRI products when they just don't need to be...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Laura, sorry to hear you're experiencing issues.  It might be good to reach out to technical support to take a look at this with an analyst.  https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support 

0 Kudos
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

For Laura or anyone else hitting this issue:

It may be good to check to see if your ArcGIS Online account is configured with HTTPS. Recently worked with a colleague on this issue and it was determined that the ArcGIS Online account they were signing in with was configured with HTTP only. Once we flipped the switch for HTTPS, the World Geocoding Service now showed up in ArcGIS Pro when signing in.

Cheers,

Eric