Select to view content in your preferred language

Can not run ArcGis pro -- Account cannot be used because it is public account

Jump to solution
03-23-2024 04:25 PM
Labels (1)
WilliamJones9
New Contributor

I recently renewed my "ArcGIS for Personal Use" license.  I followed the order fulfilment email and downloaded ArcGIS Pro, but when I try to run it I get the error "Your account could not be used to authorize ArcGIS Pro because it is an ArcGIS Public Account".

I searched this community and found other users with this issue, but the posts were several years old and the answers were confusing.  I think part of the issue is perhaps that the layout of MyEsri has changed.

I am an individual user, so I am not part of an organization.  Is there a way for me to use this product?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

A public account is free and can be used to connect to My Esri or post on the community forums.

It becomes an organizational account when it is used to activate, or invited to, an ArcGIS Online organization. Personal use subscriptions licence ArcGIS Pro through ArcGIS Online by default/

You need to activate your ArcGIS Online subscription with your public user account. If you have already activated the ArcGIS Online organization, you may have created a second account.

Check your email for an invite to activate ArcGIS Online subscription, then follow those steps, using your existing account.

If you don't have an invite to activate ArcGIS Online subscription, you need to reach out to technical support / customer service, who can re-send the invite.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
WilliamJones9
New Contributor

When I click on the fulfillment page link in my order fulfillment email, this is what I get: 

Email capture.JPG

When I go to "sign into ArcGIS online organization", it comes up as an online public account with limited functionality.  I thought the ArcGIS personal use license included ArcGIS online?  Very confusing!

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

A public account is free and can be used to connect to My Esri or post on the community forums.

It becomes an organizational account when it is used to activate, or invited to, an ArcGIS Online organization. Personal use subscriptions licence ArcGIS Pro through ArcGIS Online by default/

You need to activate your ArcGIS Online subscription with your public user account. If you have already activated the ArcGIS Online organization, you may have created a second account.

Check your email for an invite to activate ArcGIS Online subscription, then follow those steps, using your existing account.

If you don't have an invite to activate ArcGIS Online subscription, you need to reach out to technical support / customer service, who can re-send the invite.

WilliamJones9
New Contributor

Thank you for your response.  I reached out to tech support and they provided me an authorization link to convert my ArcGIS online account from public to organizational.  Apparently ESRI should have sent me an email with this link when I purchased my Personal Use license, but I did not receive it.  I have a friend in the same situation, so it may be a glitch in ESRIs purchase system when an individual is buying a personal use license.

0 Kudos