Can I edit Enterprise Feature Classes directly in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
01-31-2017 09:41 AM
JamiePortolese
New Contributor III

I'm trying to come up with editing strategies for my users who only have access to ArcGIS Pro.  We have a single desktop license and my boss doesn't want to have to rely on me being the sole editor.  I'd like to set up something that allows others to edit using the Pro software.

I looked into publishing the layer as a feature service and editing that but I don't get the ability to undo changes made during the editing session (all changes are final and one mistake means reloading).  I published a feature service from our enterprise geodatabase but it doesn't seem to be editable.  Bringing a shapefile imported from the enterprise layer, editing, and pushing it back has many drawbacks (truncation of field names etc.)

Is this possible without adding seats of desktop (we aren't getting any more)

Thanks in Advance.

Jamie

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamie - Yes, both tools are available as GP tools, which means they are also available to use in Python scripting (links provide coding examples).

Register As Versioned—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Register with Geodatabase—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

-Adam Z

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JamiePortolese
New Contributor III

Sorry "I didn't publish a feature service from our enterprise geodatabase" I created a connection in Pro, added a feature class to the map but it doesn't appear to be editable.

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamie - Does the user connected to the database have the appropriate privileges to add/modify/delete the data? Are you editing in a versioned environment or editing the default version of the database?

-Adam Z

0 Kudos
JamiePortolese
New Contributor III

The user has the ability to add/modify/delete the data.  I registered the layer with the geodatabase but hadn't registered as versioned so it looks like doing that made it not only editable in ArcGIS Pro but also allows me to undo edits.

0 Kudos
JamiePortolese
New Contributor III

One thing before I close this out.  Is it possible to register the layer with the geodatabase and register as versioned using a tool in ArcGIS pro?  Maybe in a python script or ArcToolBox?

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamie - Yes, both tools are available as GP tools, which means they are also available to use in Python scripting (links provide coding examples).

Register As Versioned—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Register with Geodatabase—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

-Adam Z