Can I assign functions to additional mouse buttons for productivity?

Jump to solution
07-02-2021 11:01 AM
Labels (1)
Manu
by
Occasional Contributor

I have a mouse with "forward" and "backward" buttons on the side. is it possible to assign the functions "undo" and "finish polygon" to these buttons in ArcGIS Pro? This would come in handy when there are a lot of polygons to draw...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

To capture mouse buttons and translate them to ArcGIS Pro accelerators, you will probably need a way of remapping the buttons to a key combination. Take a look at AutoHotKey, for one example.

AHK is simple enough. To map the back button to, say, Alt+Shift+T, you could use the following:

XButton1::!+T

Then with that AHK script running, any press of the back button will send those keystrokes. Create a corresponding accelerator in Pro, and you're good to go!

I personally have a few different AHK scripts that I will turn on and off depending on the workflow I am in, to make it easier to work one-handed.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

To capture mouse buttons and translate them to ArcGIS Pro accelerators, you will probably need a way of remapping the buttons to a key combination. Take a look at AutoHotKey, for one example.

AHK is simple enough. To map the back button to, say, Alt+Shift+T, you could use the following:

XButton1::!+T

Then with that AHK script running, any press of the back button will send those keystrokes. Create a corresponding accelerator in Pro, and you're good to go!

I personally have a few different AHK scripts that I will turn on and off depending on the workflow I am in, to make it easier to work one-handed.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS