Calculating the distance between multiple points

04-12-2020 02:26 AM
660005678Student_Number
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a point shapefile feature class which has over 500,000 points (locations of houses) and another point shapefile feature class which has about 30 points (locations of shops). Is it possible to be able to calculate the distance between each house and the closest shop? Ideally i would quite like a file which then contains all the distances between the house and the nearest shop which can then be shown as a histogram so i can analyse the distribution of distances from each house to the nearest shop?

Is there an easy way to do this or is there too many points for this to be possible?

Thanks for your help,

Katy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you want road distance, then you would require the network analyst extension.

500,000 x 30 would probably cause issues, you would be better off clustering your destinations into groups , there is little point having a separate route for all houses on a city block, for instance,

0 Kudos
660005678Student_Number
New Contributor

Thank you so much for getting back to me!

I have attempted clustering, particularly trying to use the patially Constrained Multivariate Clustering, but that didnt work as all i have is the location of the point with no other information and i couldnt get it to cluster on location basis. I also tried density based clustering and that didnt work either? Do you by any chance have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much

Katy

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a picture would help.

still the question of road distance vs straight-line 

are the coordinates in meters?, feet? or degrees?

an example of what could be done for straight-line

You will have grouped the points into areas, from which you will use the centroid of the polygon to represent a 'location' for further analysis.

One of several, using existing tools,

0 Kudos