Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculate the percent of area for each feature

2037
4
Jump to solution
01-21-2023 05:42 AM
Labels (2)
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

I have a polygon feature class representing our county by Land Type, and I'd like to add a field showing the percent of the total area by each type. 

I did this before by summarizing to get the total area and manually entering that value into an Arcade expression to calculate the percentage for each feature. 

I'm trying to create a model in Model Builder so that I can automate the process in the future, but I'm not sure how to calculate the total area and feed that variable into the Calculate Field tool to get the percentage of each feature.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

perhaps Summary Statistics (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

to get the total area from the shape_area field as input to your model


... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks.  That was part of the solution.  I calculated the total area using Summary Statistics, then I had to use a Model Builder utility to get the value of the row so that I could use it as an in-line variable in my Arcade script.  Also, apparently to use an in-line variable in Arcade you have to wrap it in single-quotes, '%variable%'.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

I tried that, but I don't have Zone features.  Instead of identifying the percentage of area in each zone for each land type, I want to identify the parentage of area of each land type of the total combined areas.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

perhaps Summary Statistics (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

to get the total area from the shape_area field as input to your model


... sort of retired...
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks.  That was part of the solution.  I calculated the total area using Summary Statistics, then I had to use a Model Builder utility to get the value of the row so that I could use it as an in-line variable in my Arcade script.  Also, apparently to use an in-line variable in Arcade you have to wrap it in single-quotes, '%variable%'.