buffer in existing feature class

08-10-2015 01:37 PM
CharlesFinley
New Contributor III

I attended the 2015 User Conference, and I heard the gospel, as spoken by Jack and Co. -  ArcPro is ON, and it is REAL!!

Soooo... I'm really trying to use ArcGIS Pro, and migrate my workflows to this software.

As a GIS support person for a Lands and permitting department, the thing I map the most is road and utility easements; simply created by buffering an existing line feature to create a polygon feature within an existing feature class.  Simply put: select a line feature, click the buffer tool, choose your template, define your distance, hit OK.  You have a new polygon feature in your edit layer.

I have searched the edit tools in Pro, and the help as well, and all I have found is the Buffer Geoprocessing Tool, which creates a new feature class.

Is this tool available as an edit function?  If not, when will it be available?  This is a crucial editing functionality that needs to be a part of the ArcGIS Pro editing toolset.

Thank you, and if I have overlooked this functionality in ArcGIS Pro, please make me aware of it, along with all the stonewalling I deserve!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you looked at the templates yet in Pro? (I'm assuming the snapshots above are from Desktop).

I haven't played around with Pro templates enough, but to build on the links Dan passed on

Buffer (Polyline)—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop  is for lines.  To me it looks like this is done within an edit session and not as a GP tool.

CharlesFinley
New Contributor III

I have not yet worked with feature templates in Pro.  I will take a look at these.  Thanks for the replies!

0 Kudos