Better way to edit annotation feature classes in Pro?

07-31-2018 08:51 AM
Tim_Ultee
New Contributor III

My team often has to create data "post-it note" maps for sample results at remediation sites. We create labels using cursor-based python expressions that pull results for each sample location from a separate geodatabase table. We then convert these labels to annotation feature classes and position them around the map:

We're trying to switch to Pro but are having trouble accomplishing this critical task in Pro (using Pro 2.0.0). The only tool I've found to move annotation without also moving the leader line is the Annotation Modify Feature tool. This works but it can be tedious to move the annotation instead of resizing or text editing by accident since a single click activates all 3 capabilities. Editing also seems even slower than in ArcMap, which I was surprised by given how much faster Pro is supposed to be (we also edit with an activated map in a layout since otherwise we can't see the layout map extent). Finally, Pro consistently freezes while trying to move annotations on the map, forcing me to restart Pro and lose any unsaved edits (the processing wheel spins just spins forever).

*Edit* I should also note that when Pro crashes or freezes I've twice had it corrupt the annotation feature class I was working with when it crashed. Given that we often store numerous subclasses of post-its within a single feature class, this issue could result in the loss of a lot of work.

Does anyone have suggestions for editing annotations in Pro that might help? I'd really like to switch to Pro but don't think we'll be able to unless we fix the issue of Pro freezing. I'd really appreciate any advice for working with annotations in Pro.

8 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you try upgrading to 2.2.0 to see if the performance of Pro improves for this specific task?

Tim_Ultee
New Contributor III

If you think the freezing will resolve itself by upgrading to 2.2.0 I can try to push that, though my company's software setup doesn't give me direct control of software versions/updates so this may take some time (ArcMap & Pro are run through a mixed local/remote setup).

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I have no idea, but I was hoping someone from ESRI or other Pro users would have some insight on your particular issue.

Can you get another test computer setup so you can see for yourself if the upgrade at least improves performance for this task without disrupting your current Pro setup?

Tim_Ultee
New Contributor III

I'm putting in a request for our engineering systems department to publish Pro 2.2.0, so hopefully I'll have access to it in the coming days. Unfortunately since all our software is accessed through a central location I can't use the latest version on any company computer until they upgrade it, but hopefully it won't take long. It's just as well since I'm looking forward to some of the new 2.2 features like pause drawing.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
PatrickVines
New Contributor

Hey folks,

I see this is several years old now, but I'm still having similar issues in 2021. I've recently switched from arcmap desktop to PRO. Using call out notes that are completely customizable was a really useful and relevant way to accomplish my job in arcmap. ArcPRO seems to try very hard to funnel you to using labels associated with a features tables, but that's simply not the most efficient way for my purposes, since my map notes are....well, notes. Not really specific enough to be used in a table. Using the annotation feature, whether creating or editing, almost always crashes my ArcPRO. My new laptop has a Ryzen 9 processor and a nice graphics card. I'm not sure why this feature consistently crashes arcPRO or if anyone has found a reasonable workaround.

0 Kudos
MikeRatcliffe
Occasional Contributor

I am testing Pro 2.9.1 for the public utility I'm employed by.  Convert Labels to Annotations fails/crashes the application repeatedly for me.  As a work-around, I'm converting labels to graphics; which are stored at the Map level.  Not a solution for most, but for single map requests, it's pass-able.  ArcGIS Pro BUG reporter is overwhelmed at the moment--will see if this is a known issue.

Update:  this occurs because the feature classes participate in a legacy geometric network (read-only).  Either delete the geometric network or convert to trace network.

0 Kudos
sleeperatRES
New Contributor

Just chiming in to echo Patrick's comment.  Moving annotation around my map in Pro freezes and/or crashes Pro every single time.

0 Kudos
JimJohansen
New Contributor II

Same. If I select an annotation feature with the Move button selected in the Editor Tool Gallery, I don't have a problem. If I click the Annotation button in the Editor Tool Gallery, I hear my fans crank up and I keep my fingers crossed I can Clear Selection without it crashing. Version 2.9.0.

0 Kudos