Select to view content in your preferred language

Best platform for sharing map with coworkers?

04-24-2023 02:19 PM
vg11
by
Regular Contributor

Hello everyone, I am working on publishing a map for my organization. They were using Arc Reader but now trying to phase that out and shift to ArcGIS Online / Map Viewer. I have been using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1 to publish web layers and I am finding that Map Viewer doesn't support a lot of what I have in Pro. For example, scaling has been an issue, custom symbology, point feature label rotation, etc. A bunch of random, annoying and simple issues. Could anyone suggest a different platform to share a map? It needs to be accessible by my coworkers who do not have experience with GIS or any programs (Pro, Desktop) installed. I need my map to display the exact way it does in Pro. Am I missing something simple or does Map Viewer suck this much? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JustinJohnston
Frequent Contributor

Map Viewer in AGOL doesn't support many of the custom symbology options that you will find in ArcGIS Pro.  It is a frustration that I have experienced as well.  You get a map looking sharp in ArcGIS Pro and then try to share it to AGOL, just to have all of the symbology simplified, defeating the purpose of your custom symbology.  You just have to try and design your maps with simple symbology from the start unfortunately.  I do wish they had an "AGOL Compatible Symbology Filter" in ArcGIS Pro so you could know that your maps would share as you expect from the start.  

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos