Batch multidirectional hillshade?

07-21-2022 11:53 PM
Labels (3)
JanMaj
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have around 560 DEMs to work on. I would like to apply multidirectional hillshade to all of them at once and then save it to a geodatabase, with some relevant names e.g. HS_%Name%. Since the multidirectional hillshade is not a proper tool, but a function, I can't add it to the model builder. Any ideas how to work around it? Would Python help here? The DEMs are stored in a gdb. 

Thanks,

Jan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lharding_mcgov
New Contributor II

Hi,

Involved in similar, what I did was (from memory, so...)

Mosaic to New Raster (just don't like display histogram variability amongst, I had maybe 200 to 300)

Multidirectional Hillshade, on new mosaic, single raster, function, which creates a new layer, "displayed".

Symbolized / stretched the new layer (simply displayed not a new file) mosaiced single raster, after it built statistics (important). Tried a few variations, histogram equalize seems ok. for here.

Right-click (ARC = Always Right Click) on this new "display" layer, and Data -> Export New Raster, make sure to output the renderer with it, it's an option to check, so the stretch goes with it.

That's where I'm at so far, I'm certain there are other ways.

Lee

0 Kudos
JanFišer
New Contributor II

Give a try to Hillshade function from Image Analysis module, which is possible to call inside for loop from Python and set hillshade_type=1 for multidirectional hillshade. Hillshade tools in Spatial Analyst toolbox and 3D Analyst toolbox for some reason do not contain parameter for multidirectional hillshade.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/arcpy/image-analyst/hillshade.htm

0 Kudos