Batch Apply Symbology Not Working

Jump to solution
07-12-2018 10:56 AM
BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to apply symbology from one multipatch layer to many multipatch layers. I am running Batch Apply Symbology (right clicking on "Apply Symbology From Layer" and selecting "Batch") 

The symbology applies to only one multipatch layer but not the others.

Any ideas on why this is occurring?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Brian, this is a bug that will be addressed in a future release. For the time being, you can choose the option to save the batch Apply Symbology as a model in a toolbox, and if you fill in the parameters and run from inside ModelBuilder it works to apply the symbology to all the selected input layers.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Brian, this is a bug that will be addressed in a future release. For the time being, you can choose the option to save the batch Apply Symbology as a model in a toolbox, and if you fill in the parameters and run from inside ModelBuilder it works to apply the symbology to all the selected input layers.

BrianE
by

Drew, I am working on a 3d map. I applied the symbology for one mutipatch model and applied it to 4 other multipatch models. I used the model builder and it took 4 minutes. This probably 4 times slower than if I was to do this manually

Am I missing something here?

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Apply Symbology is usually very fast - if you run the standard Apply Symbology From Layer tool in the Geoprocessing pane for just one of your layers, does it take 1 minute? Can you copy only the layers you want to apply symbology to into a new scene and try it again? If you're willing to share the data I'd be happy to do this investigation to see what's going on. Thanks

0 Kudos
BrianE
by

Drew,

I was told that the data / project was shared with you. Have you been able to look into this?

BrianE
by

Can you please be more specific as to what you mean by “future release”?

2.2.1? 2.3? 3.0?

Thank you.

DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry I can only say that it will be 2.3 or after.

0 Kudos
LeandraGordon

Just FYI - Still logged as a bug, (Bug BUG-000119907)

My experience is
1.that it works reasonably reliably in 2.3 and 2.4 in a a model builder toolbox ONLY.
2. Doesn't work reliably in 2.4 or 2.3 in any python script or toolbox.
3. Still causing problems in 2.8.1 and not working at all in a model builder toolbox.

The problem seems to be something the code is hitting in the 'LYRX' file that causes it to just decide to skip. No error messages, it just either does nothing or connects to the wrong geodatabase.

And no ESRI Peoples - altering the database connection is NOT a workaround - have a look at the 
Update Symbology Ranges by Data (Optional) part of the command , that functionality cannot be reproduced by that workaround.

JamesPaull2
New Contributor III

This is still broken at 3.1 FYI.

Bit of a pain doing it manually for 60 odd layers....

0 Kudos
Dunn_Jeremy
New Contributor III

I concur James..I have tried to run this tool afew times today and each time it does something different.

1. Completes Successfully but has done nothing. 

2. Doesn't Complete just fails. 

3. Completes Successful but upon viewing the layers I see there is no symbology

Can we please get a solution to this problem with updating symbology. It would be nice if there was an option in the contents table to just highlight each layer and have the symbology show up so that one symbology can be applied to all the layers that are selected. 

Regards. 

Jeremy

0 Kudos