Select to view content in your preferred language

Bad performance in ArcGIS Pro

02-26-2024 02:43 AM
red
by
Emerging Contributor

Hi,

I'm using ArcGIS Pro in the newest version on a Dell Precision 3571 Laptop with Intel i7 12700H CPU, 64GB RAM and Nvidia T600 graphics. 

I think the technical specs of my device are not so bad but the performance of ArcGIS Pro is not good at all. In my project there are about 20 layers, all in the same gdb with the same coordinate system. I'm switching between two or three background maps (OpenStreetMap layer included in Pro and other WMS services). I have quite a few text fields in the map and have three or four layouts open.

Even simple tasks like changing the color of a polygon take several seconds. Also other stuff like field calculations in the attribute table or selecting objects by attribut take longer than I think they should. Moving a text field also takes some time.

In the past I've used ArcMap on much older hardware but the performance for similar tasks was much, much faster.

Am I using the wrong hardware? What can I do to improve the performance? 

Regards

Robert

20 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Frequent Contributor

Have you checked the system requirements? If you meet the requirements, what version of Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
red
by
Emerging Contributor

I'm using the newest version: 3.2.2

I've checked the requirements, yes:

CPU: Optimal 10 cores - I have 14 cores

Platform x64: yes

Storage: 32 GB - I have 250 GB free space

RAM: Optimal 64 GB - I have 64 GB

Dedicated graphics memory: I have shared memory but with 64 GB that shouldn't be a problem?

DirectX 12: yes

So it's well above the requirements.

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins
Frequent Contributor

See @George_Thompson reply. The location of your data can have a negative effect on performance. Especially if your data is cloud based but you’re connected directly to it.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Where are the geodatabases being stored (cloud, local drive, network drive, etc.) in relation to the Pro client?

What type of geodatabases are being used: file / enterprise / other?

If Enterprise, do you have it enabled for a geodatabase (i.e., SDE schema)?

If you remove the WMS services, does the Pro map work better?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
red
by
Emerging Contributor

All data is stored on the local drive. It's a file geodatabase.

Removing WMS services gives a small improvement but not much.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Based on my experience, local data in a fGDB has good performance.

Is the fGDB stored in a OneDrive / Google Drive folder that is being backed up automatically?

Have you tried a new project and the performance is the same?

Is the project stored on a local drive or network drive? Is it being backed up with OneDrive or Google also?

Is the performance suboptimal for all layers in the fGDB or just certain layers?

Can you provide some more information about the layers that are slow?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
red
by
Emerging Contributor

It's on the local drive. No OneDrive, Google Drive or similar is being used or installed. The data is only backed up when ArcGIS Pro is not running.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

You could try using the Diagnostic Monitor to see if it indicates something of interest.

Diagnostic Monitor—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Mark

0 Kudos