Average distance from point to polygon

Jump to solution
05-18-2021 08:08 AM
Labels (2)
Ruben
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have a polygon layer of all the municipalities in the Netherlands and a point layer of all restaurants of a specific franchise. I want to calculate the average Euclidean distance to a restaurant for every single municipality. So every municipality would get a value of X meters which indicates the average Euclidean distance that an individual would have to travel to reach a restaurant when residing in the specific municipality. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Ruben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would probably generate evenly dispersed points within each municipality (e.g. every 100m) and then a spatial join to add the munipality name or ID to the points. 

Then generate a near table Generate Near Table (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation or use Near analysis  to find the distance to the closest location per point.  I would make sure that the find only closest feature parameter is set so that you don't generate a gigantic table.

for each set of municipality points just calculate the median value.

This of course also assumes that population is evenly distributed within the municipality.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would probably generate evenly dispersed points within each municipality (e.g. every 100m) and then a spatial join to add the munipality name or ID to the points. 

Then generate a near table Generate Near Table (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation or use Near analysis  to find the distance to the closest location per point.  I would make sure that the find only closest feature parameter is set so that you don't generate a gigantic table.

for each set of municipality points just calculate the median value.

This of course also assumes that population is evenly distributed within the municipality.