Automatically created representations???

08-04-2021 03:51 PM
KeithOlson
New Contributor III

The GIS users in my organization are experiencing what appear to be automatically generated cartographic representations for feature classes in our enterprise database. What's happening, is whenever anyone adds a feature class from our database to a map (we use Pro 2.6 and 2.7), the symbology is automatically set for that layer using symbols at least one of us recognizes as having used before in one of our maps. However, none of us has ever created a cartographic representation for any of these feature classes. Is there some kind of bug (or new "feature") in ArcGIS Pro where representations are automatically created and saved into an enterprise database? Or any other idea as to what's going on here?

Keith Olson

SRP GIS Coordinator, Idaho National Guard

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Were they handled within ArcMap at any time?

Draw layers with representations—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KeithOlson
New Contributor III

No, we never used representations with ArcMap.

Also, just this morning, when I added one of my feature classes to a new map in Pro, the default symbology came in the way I had it set in a different project I was working on yesterday! Somehow the symbology is getting saved some place outside the project. 

0 Kudos
KeithOlson
New Contributor III

Further development... We experimented with one person setting new symbology on a layer in ArcGIS Pro 2.7 and making edits to the feature class. Then a second person added that feature class to a new project on a different machine and the new symbology came right along with it!!! So the symbology is being saved in the database somehow. It's a SQL Server enterprise DB.

0 Kudos
BlytheSchembri1
New Contributor III

Hi Keith,

We've had the same issue running ArcGIS Pro 2.7.3 and SQL Server databases. 

We don't remember this happening in older versions of ArcGIS Pro.

Blythe

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tech Support... that would be your best bet since it may not have anything specific to do with Pro

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KeithOlson
New Contributor III

Reporting back. Many thanks to Joe Borgione for posting this temporary fix:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/enterprise-gdb-features-repeat-symbology/m-p/1087...

0 Kudos