Select to view content in your preferred language

Attribute field with domain blank when exporting to external shapefile with field alias switched on

11-14-2023 10:29 AM
Labels (2)
Bio_GIS
Emerging Contributor

My attributes with domains are exporting out as blank when I have the "Use Field Alias as Name" toggled on while using the Export Features where the output is a shapefile. This does not occur if exporting as a geodatabase. I also do not get the issue if the "Use Field Alias as Name" is toggled off. I was using this workflow before the Pro update with no issue. Unsure if I need to add in any additional steps since the update. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Export Features (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

When converting geodatabase data that has subtypes or domains and the output workspace is not a geodatabase, both the subtype and domain codes and descriptions can be included in the output. Use the Transfer field domain descriptions environment to control this behavior. By default, only domain and  subtype codes will be included in the output, not descriptions.

Did you leave it blank as suggested in the Note: that follows?

Did you try it with the transfer option to see if it makes any difference? because there are some shapefile limits.

Transfer field domain descriptions (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Bio_GIS
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for responding,

I did mess with the transfer option as you suggested but unfortunately am still getting the same issue. The tool is now also not allowing me to manipulate which attribute fields can be exported. 

0 Kudos