Attribute Assistant for Pro

07-14-2016 08:55 AM
KirstynAlex
New Contributor II

After one of the Pro sessions at the UC this year I asked if Attribute Assistant is supported. The short response was that the functionality is there but it is not called the same thing. Does anyone know how to set up this functionality in Pro so that, for example, when a new point is created the UniqueID is updated automatically, and it is spatially intersected with Zip Codes to automatically calculate those? I've done some research but am unable to find anything that for Pro that relates to automatically calculating attributes.

Thanks!

12 Replies
AndrewHargreaves
Occasional Contributor II

+1

0 Kudos
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Kirstyn, 

Functionality similar to the Attribute Assistant is being worked on for ArcGIS Pro, but it is not yet been released.  The functionality is called Attribute Rules and it will make use of the new Arcade scripting language to allow users to define rules/scripts to be executed while features are being edited.

The current plan is to release the first implementation of Attribute Rules with the 2.0 release of ArcGIS Pro.

Larry

JeffreyWarren
New Contributor III

Will this new functionality "Attribute Rules" take in to account our current Dynamic Value & GenerateID tables? Or will we have to rework that information in to the new functionality?

Thanks

LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,

Generation of sequence numbers/expressions is something in the plans for Attribute Rules.  How you configure and work with Attribute Rules will be different than what you are used to with Attribute Assistant due to many different reasons including the need to be cross platform.  With Attribute Rules everything will be based on expressions that the user defines as part of the setup/configuration process.

Long story short, GenerateID tables will be replaced with expressions defined by the user.

larry

JeffreyWarren
New Contributor III

What about the dynamic value table then, expressions are used here.  Will any of that transfer over, or will we have to retype all of that as well?  I understand this is a different functionality, I'm just curious as to the ease of converting over.

Thanks

LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

I would assume at this point there will not be a direct way to transfer rules over.  Understandably, it would be a nice thing to have, but until we get further into the development of Attribute Rules and really understand the required syntax of the expressions, it is hard to say how easy it would be to create something.

0 Kudos
DerekRieckmann
New Contributor II

Hi Larry,

I have been looking for this type of functionality as well.  I haven't been able to find anything in the ArcGIS Pro 2.0 documentation referencing Attribute Rules.  Did this not make the 2.0 release?

If it isn't in 2.0, when is the anticipated release date?  Will these rules be honored when features are created/edited via a web application, or will ArcGIS Pro be the only place where they execute?

EricPeña
Occasional Contributor

Derek, I do see Attribute Rules Toolbox in ArcGIS Pro 2.1-beta.1, so it looks like this functionality will be available in Pro 2.1 release.  You can get Pro 2.1-beta.1 through Esri's Early Adopter program. The help on these tools is blank so I'll be exploring them on my own for now.

LeeAllen
Occasional Contributor

It looks like Attribute Rules are available in Pro 2.1. Here are the highlights: 

1. Only supported in Enterprise geodatabase datasets.

2. Rules are created using Arcade language

3. Once rules are added to a dataset, the dataset is only accessible to Pro 2.1 and over - NO longer usable in ArcMap.

These are the main ones that I picked up from the Help