Assign Domain during feature class creation in Pro

01-02-2020 07:15 AM
HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

Within ArcCatalog when you are creating a new feature class you have the option to assign a domain to a field.

When creating a feature class in ArcGIS Pro, you don't have that option.

Am I missing something? Can you really not assign domains during the creation process in Pro? If so, why not?

Further information:

Both screenshots came from working on the same file geodatabase.

The feature class I am trying to create is within a feature dataset.

My version of ArcGIS Pro is 2.4.3.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Remember, everything is a geoprocessing tool in Pro.  You first need to run the create domain tool, followed by the assign domain to field tool.

That should just about do it....
HeatherScroggins

The domains have already been created. I created them before starting the process of creating a feature class.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

And this doesn't do the trick for you:  followed by the assign domain to field tool.

0 Kudos
HeatherScroggins

I know how to assign domains. I can assign domains just fine on the Fields page of a feature class. That isn't my question.

My question refers to assigning domains during the Create Feature Class process like you can do in ArcCatalog. I'm trying to figure out if Pro does this and it's just not working for me or if it doesn't do it at all and I need to do yet another step to assign domains. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My question refers to assigning domains during the Create Feature Class process like you can do in ArcCatalog

Well....  It looks like that isn't possible. From the help topic:

Assign Domain To Field

Summary

Sets the domain for a particular field and, optionally, for a subtype. If no subtype is specified, the domain is only assigned to the specified field.

Usage

0 Kudos