Assign a separate color to a feature in the same layer.

10-02-2019 03:25 PM
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

I have a map of my town showing all of the parcels in my town. The symbology is 11 classes of graduated colors. Is there a way for me to select a particular parcel and assign it a specific color that is not related to the symbology for the rest of the layer?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AryleButler
Esri Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Without looking at your data, it's hard to give a specific workflow, but I can tell you that this is possible! The Symbology Pane in ArcGIS Pro does have the ability to symbolize two fields. What this will do is combine two values to one group.

For Example

I have some fake data that includes 3 non-Pro generated fields:

1. Name: Unique to each record
  2. Type: Repeats
  3. Grade: Repeats

In my symbology pane, I can symbolize using a repeating value, and combine it with a unique value. This will allow me to select a particular record and set it to a unique color: 

I set the yellow color by double clicking the color swatch next to 'Fill, Duho' and selecting yellow.

All of my 'Type' categories are still there (Fill, Land, and Synthetic) but they've been combined with my 'Name' values to create unique values that I can then manually symbolize. The result looks like this:

This will not work, however, if I combine my two repeating columns, and the polygon I want to symbolize no longer has a unique value.

There are only 7 values out of 9 total records, meaning that two polygons are being symbolized by the same value. We can see this if we change the top option to yellow:

I hope this helps!

-Aryle

0 Kudos