Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcPro - insert rectangular image and make it a circle?

01-22-2024 12:53 AM
y1uresh
Deactivated User

Working on a layout where I want to insert an image but make it circular - not sure how to go about it. I don’t have access to photoshop and every way I can edit it into a different shape before inserting into my layout that I’ve found retains a white rectangular background when I insert it. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

perhaps a circular map frame?

Add and modify map frames—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or do you actually want the image projected into a circular shape?

Orthographic—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Azimuthal equidistant—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

depending on your image extent

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

As Dan mentioned, you can add a circular map frame to your layout that is tied to a Map View.  The Map View will have an image added to it - be sure to turn off the basemap as the image may (or may not) have a world file.  Once you add the circular map frame, go to the circular map frame properties and select the Map View that has your image.  If you want to zoom in the image to fill the circle map frame, go to your Layout tab and select Activate from the Map group.  Zoom or out to have the picture fill the entire circular map frame.  Voila!

RonaldHaug
Frequent Contributor

Hi y1uresh!

I would never have been able to do this without Dan and Robert's help.

What I did is create a new map frame, then inserted a graphics layer, and added a picture to it.

Then I went back to my layout and created a circular map frame, placed it and selected my picture "map frame". I returned to Layout and activated the map frame and sized and placed it, et voila!

That was fun, like doing a John Nelson tutorial.

Thanks for the great idea, y1uresh, and for the help, Dan and Robert!

RonaldHaug_0-1705986160561.png

RonaldHaug_2-1705987119106.png