We have just updated from ArcGIS 10.3 to ArcGIS 10.5.
Suffering from very slow performance in ArcMAP now with certain things. I've completely re-made MXD's from scratch under 10.5 that I had under 10.3 to remove possible changeover issues.
When I simply tick on/off layers it takes a long time (1 minute or more) to update the display or give me control of ArcMap back.
When I save edits - long time to do that (2 minutes or more)
When I change a layer from editable to not editable - long time (1 minute) to do that.
I'd have maybe 10 layers in the MXD with JPEG 2000 aerial photo loaded in - but not displayed.
Arc Catalog displays layers quickly - as you'd expect. Loading one or 2 layers into ArcMAP also seems ok. But more than that *really* seems to slow it down. I never had extremely slow responses like this under 10.3.
We're putting in a support call but just wondering if anyone else has noticed this - and might know what the cause is. Data sits in SQL 2012 with ARCSDE.
Did you try Resetting your ArcGIS application profile?
Has the enterprise geodatabase been upgraded? Also check if service pack 3 is installed for SQL Server 2012.
Thanks for the reply Jayanta.
Yes I've tried renaming the ArcMap normal.mxt and creating a new template - no change.
I tried doing a complete application profile reset as per your link - no change.
I can confirm we have installed service pack 3 for SQL Server 2012, and have indeed upgraded our enterprise geodatabase. We have also re-done all the indexes.
What we've also discovered is that if we load 1 - 2 feature classes into ArcMap - it's ok. If we load more than that, we start seeing the slowdowns I mentioned above.
Also, we've found that when we sort large-ish datasets in Arc Catalog (16,000 records for example) by ObjectID - or anything - it takes a long time. Far longer than it did under 10.3.
At this point - it seems to be something to do with larger amounts of data. Either ArcMap projects loaded with several layers or operations on large-ish datasets. Just viewing a single large dataset in ArcCatalog - no problem.
Thank you for the clarification. In that case, it would be wise to let the Esri support team to work closely with you.
Share the solution, once the issue is resolved, so that other members in the community can benefit from it.
ESRI Support have told us that other people are also suffering performance degradation in ArcMap after upgrading to 10.5. It's *really* affecting the amount of work we can get through daily.
Just wondering if others with this issue can voice it here to build a case for some action on it. Also to judge how widespread this issue might be.
I have also been experiencing similar issues after upgrading to 10.5. My team is unable to open map documents that were made using 10.3. I am currently trying to open one of the business analyst templates that automatically get downloaded to my desktop to run a demo report and it has been loading for 10 minutes now. Please let me know if you find any solution. I am in the queue with Esri but an analyst hasn't' contacted me yet. Thank you.
I am with you on the slow performance issues. It also takes about 5 minutes just to start the program at times. I spent 2-3 hours total on the phone with tech support, uninstalling and reinstalling, changing every setting and refreshing everything they could think of without fixing the performance problems. I was using a brand new gaming laptop with a core i7 processor, 16GB RAM, and 6GB graphics GPU, so needless to say, I am quite sure it was not a hardware issue.
Has anyone worked with ArcGIS Pro 2.0? I also have had performance issues with Pro on all the computers I have used it on (3 computers so far). I think I am beginning to see a pattern with Esri software. Frustrating to say the least.
Yes I have several ArcMAP mxd's made under 10.3 (or earlier) that are taking a very long time to load now under 10.5. 10 minutes plus for me as well.
Re-making the mxd's under 10.5 does help. It at least allows the projects to load in a decent timeframe - but they still suffer very sluggish performance when doing simple tasks.
If I find any information that helps, I will certainly post it here.
I have heard this issue from time-to-time. All I can report is... new machine, new install, current operating system, no network, no problems. This will be an issue in our teaching labs where this will not be the case. I just wonder how much of a difference each of those sub-components make to the cumulative problem. I would forget about installing PRO if you are having problems with ArcMap