Select to view content in your preferred language

Arcgispro_py3_clone cant install spyder without breaking something in arcgisscripting

09-27-2022 06:28 AM
larstroldborg
New Contributor

I've installed arcgispro 3.0 and succesfully cloned my python environment to the proposed arcgispro_py3_clone name. I've tested python in this environment at it works fine until I install spyder.

Once Spyder (5.1.5) is installed (through conda install spyder), I cannot import arcpy anymore - instead I get the error message: 

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\__init__.py", line 77, in <module>
from arcpy.geoprocessing import gp
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\geoprocessing\__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
from ._base import *
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 14, in <module>
import arcgisscripting
File "c:\Python3\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgisscripting\__init__.py", line 131, in <module>
from ._arcgisscripting import *
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _arcgisscripting...

Does anyone have a solution?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisRingo
Occasional Contributor

Did you find a solution yet? If not, this is what I did based on posts in the "Python Questions" community, which worked well for me:

1) Clone your environment

2) Install "spyder_kernels" using Pro's Package Manager. If you try to install spyder from here, it will fail.

3) Open a DOS window and change to the Scripts folder in the folder of your cloned environment, and type "pip install spyder"

That worked for me, and at least some others as well.

One thing I will say about this though, is that I think installing Spyder breaks your ability to use Jupyter Notebooks within Arc Pro 3.0. At least, this is the only change I made to my cloned environment, and now I get a kernel error when creating or using a notebook within Pro, but notebooks work fine in the default environment.  In terms of installed packages, the only apparent difference between the two environments is the spyder_kernels package...

0 Kudos
larstroldborg
New Contributor

Well, I partly resolved the issue by making sure that everything installed into the clone was installed using the cmd prompt and 'conda install - c esri'... apparently the arcpy does not like unofficial conda channels. Some of the libraries that I needed was only available through the conda-forge channel, but it somehow worked out if I, after installation, ran 'conda update conda'. I do not know if this will help you with your issue

0 Kudos