ArcGIS Pro Trace Tool

04-01-2020 02:33 PM
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone had any problems getting the trace tool to actually trace features?  I have a layer of parcels that I want to trace and a layer of subdivisions that I want to create by tracing parcels.  Usually you just click the layer you want to trace and it starts tracing.  Anyone else having similar problems  The two layers are selectable and both have snapping enabled, but nothing traces once you start tracing.  Any ideas or troubleshooting steps out there?  

Tags (2)
21 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do you have "trace selected features only" toggled on with no selection made?

Create segments by tracing other features—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan,

Here are the settings I have...

0 Kudos
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan,

0 Kudos
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan,

0 Kudos
ronnovotny
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick fix Dan!

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Samuel,

You may want to check out the List By Editing and List By Snapping controls in the Contents pane:

Make sure everything is editable and snap-able.

Also, you can check for permission-type issues in the Editing Status window:

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Scott,

I only have the layer I want to edit checked in the editing controls pane.  I only have the parcels and sub basins (the layer i'm trying to edit) selected in the snapping controls pane.

Here are the warnings I have with my layers, but "being projected on the fly" shouldn't have any effect on this?

Below is a screenshot showing what happens when I start to trace.  Notice that it seems to snap to the gravity main line in the middle of the street, but not to the parcel line that i'm trying to trace.  The gravity main layer is unchecked in the snapping controls.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Samuel,

I don't see an obvious reason why you wouldn't be able to trace. Based on the amount of layers you have and the fact that you are projecting on the fly while editing, it's going to be a process of elimination.

I would recommend - in a new project, adding on the layer you want to edit (sub basin) and then add the layer you want to trace (parcels). At that point, does the status still report the projecting on the fly warning? Can you trace successfully?

If no, I would suggest to work with Esri Technical Support, who can help narrow it down further - Esri Support Contact Support  (mostly because Geonet is really not a good forum for doing tech support). If you have any trouble making a case with Technical Support, let me know. Meanwhile, with the information I have, I'll try to reproduce the scenario and report back.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Samuel,

Update: In Pro version 2.5, I used the trace construction tool to create a new line in a feature class while tracing a polygon shapefile that's in a different coordinate system (projecting on-the-fly). This succeeds for me.

That seems to be your scenario boiled down, but there is obviously another factor at play - so please see my previous comment about working with Technical Support if you are still stuck after going through a process of elimination.

Thanks,

Scott