ArcGIS Pro Table Join Shows Wrong Records

05-08-2019 11:50 AM
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

I have a feature layer that I am joining a table to. The table has multiple records that match some of the features in the feature layer; so when I perform the join there are duplicate features that have different attributes from the joined table. 

When I use a definition query (on a field in the joined table) to get a subset of the feature class it doesn't always take the matching table attribute data; it sometimes uses the attribute data for a records that does not fit the definition query. 

Here is my example:

The definition query is for all features where Field 6 equals 6006; but for some of the features with multiple records in the table it is not taking the record that fits the query. 

I have tried duplicating this in ArcMap and do not have this same problem. All features match the definition query. 

Is there a fix for this?

4 Replies
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

I think I'm experiencing a similar problem with a join in Pro. I have a 'stand alone table' (no geometry) and a polygon feature class in a single file geodatabase. I'm trying to find 'missing polygons', that is records that are in the stand alone table at are not in the polygon feature class. So I joined the polygons to the stand alone table on a single common field (our case number). However, very few records show a case number in the joined field, suggesting that we have > 2000 missing polygons (that is, case number on the polygon featureclass is null). When I do the same join in ArcMap, we only have 292 missing polygons. I've redone the join in Pro several times and but I always get the erroneous join results. 

MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

The only work around I have found is to export the subset of the table; instead of using a query, and use the new table in the join. 

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Related Esri Case:

Case 03387420 - Definition query on join returns incorrect rows (ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8)

Me:

Definition query on join returns incorrect rows
ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB

1:M join in ArcGIS Pro (FC:Table). After creating the join, apply a definition query.

Problem: The definition query isn't being applied properly; there are incorrect values being displayed in the attribute table.

Best guess at what’s happening: There are n rows in the join table that match the ID from the input table. In this case, there are two matching rows. It’s not getting the correct matching rows; it’s getting the first two matching rows, but not honoring the criteria in the definition query.

The issue happens in an Oracle EGDB and in a FGDB in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8. 

Support:

We tested the same workflow on a laptop with ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8, we were able to reproduce the issue exactly the way it was in your video.

The issue is resolved in ArcGIS Pro 3.1x

A slightly different issue: Add Join not keeping all target features

0 Kudos