ArcGIS Pro Slow to Load Folders/Files

11-06-2018 10:48 AM
DevinLavigne
Occasional Contributor III

The biggest pain I experience with ArcGIS Pro is how slow it is to browse both local folders, network drives, and UNC paths. Its often 60 seconds or more between each folder. It can take 3-4 minutes sometimes just to browse to a directory. 

27 Replies
DevinLavigne

Probably should have phrased this as a question. Does anyone have any advice?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Would need more details about your workstation: Type of hard drive, processor, ram. I see a lot of difference in Pro "Browse" performance on older or less capable workstations, when we started spec'ing GIS workstation with the Dell Class 40/50 NVMe drives, the "look for stuff" performance increased, but is no where near the performance of Arc Catalog. Your indexing options might help to. But in terms of best advice, your situation seems extreme, and the best advice I have, based on experience (with many successful outcomes), is to call tech support on this one. 

0 Kudos
DevinLavigne

Machine specs are solid - Dual Xeon processeors (20 core total), 256GB of RAM, 1TB SSD.  Is there an ArcGIS Index or is it relying on Windows indexing?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DevinLavigne

Thanks Kory. I'll try to disable indexing, but as of now the speed of my data connections has made pro almost unusable. I am connecting to a geodatabase over a network. Its taking forever to do anything. Copying a small file between two databases took me about 30 minutes.  A spatial join for 1000 features took about the same time.

DevinLavigne

Here is a screen cap of me simply browsing to a directory. Over a minute and half just to retrieve folder names. 

DevinLavigne

In case you were wondering what this looks like in Windows File Explorer....instant.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Devin,

Stupid question. What software are you using to make that awesome animated image? I really like it!