Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Slow to Load Folders/Files

11-06-2018 10:48 AM
DevinLavigne
Occasional Contributor III

The biggest pain I experience with ArcGIS Pro is how slow it is to browse both local folders, network drives, and UNC paths. Its often 60 seconds or more between each folder. It can take 3-4 minutes sometimes just to browse to a directory. 

27 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I guess I could have looked that up. Thanks!

0 Kudos
I_AM_ERROR
Occasional Contributor

We're having the exact same issue. Did you ever find a resolution?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Devin, you've been using Pro for some time now, right?  Has this slow down just started?

Looks like you already saw Matt Williams' response on https://community.esri.com/thread/199197-why-does-arcgis-pro-have-to-be-so-slow from November 9th.  Seems like that is worth looking into (not necessarily Windows Defender specifically, but any file scanning software).

DevinLavigne
Occasional Contributor III

I was working remotely with a VPN - its fine in the office, but remote its unusable. Doesn't seem to be the case with Desktop though.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

So the slowness is only happening via VPN?

I know that the communication of the clients is different between ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro. When I say communication I meant the # & type of calls made for an action (i.e. pan/zoom, add data, calculation, GP tool, etc.) That could just be the issue for the slowness is the amount of data being requested and the path that it needs to take via the VPN.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RodLovely1
New Contributor II

I don't think it's a VPN issue.  I have the same issue both on my laptop and my desktop accessing local paths - both solid machines.  Very frustrating.  Doesn't happen all the time.  Closing ArcPro and re-opening sometimes helps.  It's been going on for as long as I can remember (over a year). Access through windows explorer is always instantaneous.  No issues with ArcMap either.

0 Kudos
RodLovely1
New Contributor II

Just rebooted my computer, opened ArcGIS Pro, navigated to the folder I was trying to reach before - instantaneous this time!  Maybe it was because I had 3 other instances of ArcGIS Pro open before? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Devin,

This might be unrelated to your problem, but I found out that the more you have in your GP tool history, the longer opening and saving files in Pro is. Like a major-big-time slow-down.I clean out my history folder always now. I have not tested this in recent versions of Pro, but I might try testing it again. That might be fixed now.

Chris

Michael_Kraus
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem - Windows Explorer browses folders / files at expected speed.  ArcGIS Pro is so slow I end up having to enter the full path in at the top of the dialog and even then it is slow to show what is in that folder.

I remember when ArcGIS Desktop first came out, it tried to use different icons for folders that contained spatial data, and was also very slow to navigate folders because of this pre-emptive looking and setting the right icon.  I wonder if ArcGIS Pro is also doing the same / similar thing? 

Local (hard drive) folders are OK in ArcGIS Pro - network folders very slow, particularly on the VPN (Cisco AnyConnect Secure mobility Client).  ArcMap / ArcCatalog is OK over the VPN.

Michael.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

You might be encountering #BUG-000118068 ArcGIS Pro projects stored in the My Documents folder hosted on a network file share with an offline feature service takes up to 20 minutes to open.